Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Just wanted to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving. May you all have a wonderful day with your family and/or friends, eating, drinking, and counting your blessings.

Thanks to you all also for making this site a special place and being a part of my life.

All the best

Thu Van

Hey...gobble gobble...I'm a little late, but Happy Turkey Day!!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

The most chaotic time is always right before we sit down to eat--trying to make all the hot food ready at the same time. There were like 4 of us crammed in the kitchen--my dad is carving the bird, I'm stirring the gravy to keep it from lumping, and my mom is running back and forth between the fridge and the counter, and my brother says thoughtfully, almost philosophically, "I smell marshmallows burning."

"OHMYGOSH!" my mom leaps across the kitchen and whips open the oven door and both dishes of sweet potatoes (with marshmallows) are ON FIRE. Like giant sterno cans. Blue flames all across the tops. (Marshmallows are flammable, ya know.) Everyone bursts out laughing and the kitchen fills with major smoke (not the first time that's happened).

Good news number one is that a marshmallow fire can evidently be put out by frantically waving a dishtowel near it (or maybe it just burned itself out, who knows). Good news number two is that a layer of mini-marshmallows will burn to a hard black shell that can then be lifted off nearly in one piece, revealing undamaged sweet potatoes below. You can try again with a new layer of marshmallows, this time watching the broiler carefully.

I bet they didn't have this problem at The First Thanksgiving. [/i]
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Julie, that sounds hilarious! Glad to hear you guys were able to make the best of it. How did it go without your boyfriend? Did he have a good Thanksgiving without you?

Comment

Originally posted by TiredAndPoor
          Julie, that sounds hilarious! Glad to hear you guys were able to make the best of it. How did it go without your boyfriend? Did he have a good Thanksgiving without you?
          We survived without each other. It was just pretty much like the first 25 Thanksgivings of my life. If anything it was too easy--I kind of wish we were better integrated into each other's families, but I think we're already pretty much doing the best we can with that. Reading this board, it sounds like it's a good thing we can handle holidays apart, since he'll likely be on call for several of them in the future.

He actually enjoyed spending time with his family, which is good because he was minorly dreading going beforehand. Everyone managed to get along and behave themselves--maybe there's hope for these people yet.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
          X