Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Holiday Shopping Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Shopping Poll

OK, spill it....have you done your holiday shopping yet?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I actually got started on the day after Thanksgiving...at a 6am sale at Wal-Mart. I went to get my mom a DVD player and ended up also buying a Nintendo Game Cube as the big gift for all of the kids. It was so much FUN even though there were probably several thousand people in wal-mart and I had to park all the way across the street...it just felt so holidayish...and I was nominated by some of the other shoppers as having the littlest holiday elf with me

I wish I had lots of money....I'd be shopping every day. For some reason I feel so christmasy this year.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Russ went to Walmart at 5 am to get a DVD player and a Game Cube!!!

My mom sister and I headed to JCPennys....it was equally crazy...

Did you hear about the woman who seized around the DVD players and no one helped her...they just kept grabbing the players over her?
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I didn't hear about the woman who seized, but I did hear about that couple in New Jersey (I think) who left their kid at home alone without telling him that they were going to Best Buy at 3AM to stand in line? Apparently he woke up and found his parents gone and didn't know where they were so he called 911! 8O

I didn't go shopping the day after this year, last year was actually the first time I've been and it was entirely too crazy for me. I'm actually almost finished with my shopping, I just have DH left (he's so hard to shop for!).
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I kind of like shopping the day after Thanksgiving also (despite all the craziness) but I'm going to stick to the "non-busy" hours until my little cohorts are a little older. We like to go late on Friday and Saturday night when the mall is practically dead.
          This year, I haven't even started yet, though I'm anxious to get started. I love Christmas, but I don't like to start until after Thanksgiving--in fact I do a lot of my shopping a day or two before Christmas. For some reason, the hustle and bustle kind of puts me in the mood for Christmas.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Rarely do I go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I go bonkers in crowds - just absolutely hate it. But this year I went out of my comfort zone and braved the parking lots to Office Max and TJMaxx. Yea, I know, small steps.

Comment

Once again, my goal is to accomplish all of my shopping online. I have been mostly successful for the last five years. So far I've done some shopping on LandsEnd.com for my mom, dad, husband and SIL.

I also got my SIL a pre-natal massage for her birthday (which is today) but I did that over the phone and had a gift certificate sent.

I may breakdown and go to the BX at Andrews AFB just so that I don't have to pay tax on my gifts. I'm stumped on what to get my brother, my husband and my mother. (I got her a robe so far but that's pretty boring). Rick's family is getting him on Christmas Day so I don't know what else they would want! And I'm not going, so that's my Christmas present to myself. They don't want to see me anyway. They'll have the Very Special Boy all to themselves for three days.

I do feel like shopping but only with my friend Leslie and only at the real stores in DC, not at a shopping mall or any of the big box stores, they just suck the life out of me.

Jenn

Comment

Wow,
                I feel like a bah humbug. This morning I had to pay for a crown (paid for the root canal last month), and tonight when I got out of work there is a HUGE nail in my tire!!! I'll try to get into the shopping spirit soon. The girls are pretty easy now, gift certificates to their favorite stores, & money!!! Jory is geting a dog for Hannakuh (if I find one);
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We're pretty much done- we have maybe one thing left to get for Brigham-- we might get after Christmas as Matt's parents always give us money. I am hoping to get cards and gifts done and mailed out in the next week.

Crystal
                  Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We have most of our gifts purchased for family members and have each other left, Bryn, and a few friends. I'm not sure what I'm going to get for Eric because he sort of bought his present early -- an MP3 player off of E-Bay. I think I'll get him some cozy slippers too.
                    Bryn wants a ballerina book from Santa. And I think I'll shop for other little gifts and stocking stuffers at Office Depot. She loves the scrapbooking hole punches and they also have nice colored glue, different cutting edge scissors, and other goodies in the school supply aisle. It's great because I don't get distracted by other toys! I'm trying to think of a DVD or two she would like. I guess that is sort a present for me too with the baby coming! She really wants to learn how to ski and lessons are kind of expensive but I don't know if she would get the concept of a "gift certificate" for ski lessons. We'll see.....

I need to get going on the Christmas cards! We usually send out a photo card. I'm almost done with a roll of film with our Santa pics (we all sit on his lap because Bryn doesn't want to sit alone ). Maybe that turned out. *fingers crossed*

Comment

I am very close to being done. I started pretty early this year and did a ton of stuff online because I knew that once we got back from our Thanksgiving trip, there wouldn't be much time left. I also was able to take a lot of the presents for my Indiana relatives with me and leave them there, saving me the hassle of having to ship so much stuff, which is a HUGE help.

My in-laws are coming here on the 21st for 3 days (to bring us our DOG!!! ) and we will celebrate with them then. My mom and sisters are coming down here on the 26th for a week, which is huge......my family has NEVER come to my house for the holidays, so I am very excited about that. So my shipping bill this Christmas will be MUCH lower.

All of the kids' presents are in the trunk of DH's car and have been for about three weeks. We need to move them up to the attic some night after the boys go to bed.

I don't know what to get DH......I think there is another thread about that somewhere, so I will post about my indecision there.

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                      X