Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Confession: I'm a nerd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European History. Yoga. I used to be geeky about computers but since I've turned that obsession in to a home based business it is now "work". Nice to know you can take an obsession and make it useful. Now if I could just figure out how to do that with the history and yoga...
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
      I have a BS in computer science and a PhD in a related field, so I'm pretty sure that solidifies my nerd status. Sometimes I write computer programs for fun, just to see if I can solve a certain problem, instead of having one of my programmers do it. The Big Bang Theory is dangerously close to my life - my colleagues think I'm just like Bernadette, except my voice isn't quite that obnoxious, and my husband is way cooler than Howard.

I'm also a big knitting geek - I get excited over really nice yarns, or trying out complicated new patterns.

Sounds EXACTLY like our middle kiddo. I kept calling her Bernadette during her Lego robotics crapfest.

Kiddo is determined to go to MIT (she wants to be a mechanical engineer) and she knits/crochets like a fiend.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post

Sounds EXACTLY like our middle kiddo. I kept calling her Bernadette during her Lego robotics crapfest.

Kiddo is determined to go to MIT (she wants to be a mechanical engineer) and she knits/crochets like a fiend.
        Good for her! There aren't too many women in computer science and engineering, but I think that makes it more fun.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

LSW, I freaking love Joss Whedon!

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
            LSW, I freaking love Joss Whedon!
            Me too!!!
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

My favorite shows include Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have watched all three of the LOTR movies in their extended versions multiple times. I am a rabid reader of mystery and fantasy novels and am writing my own. I could go on and on.
              Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Before kids, or rather before DD, I had plenty of time to geek out about a variety of things. Now?

Lately, I am on a kick about soap making (just as Sooner Texas and BonBon). I've been doing a bunch of research on the process and the properties of various ingredients. And, I have been making soap like crazy. I've got stuff coming in to make close to 25 pounds of soap. Luckily, my little sister wants to sell it for me, hehehe.

But ask me about yarn and knitting and I probably know more than average and can tell you about the various properties of a wide variety of fibers... So, I am a well rounded geek... with ADD.
                Kris

Comment

I geek out on completely random trivial. My head is full of entirely useless information that is only helpful if I were a contestant on Jeopardy! or a professional Trivial Pursuit player.

Comment

1. Video gamer, mainly MMORPGs, but I love simulation games, too
                    2. Renaissance festivals (I own my own costume.)
                    3. Read epic fantasy series
                    4. Going to Dragoncon is on my bucket list. Come with me LSW! You can help me pick out my costume!
                    5. Love geeky movies and TV shows. You wouldn't have wanted to be in our house when we found out G4 was canceling Attack of the Show.
                    6. Attended a science and math high school (jr and sr year)
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                      2. Renaissance festivals (I own my own costume.)
                      You need to go on Netflix and find My Fair Wedding. Find season 2, episode 6.
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my bachelor party involved me and and a dozen or so friends I've known since (at least) the mid-90s renting a cabin and playing a D&D game we had also been playing since the mid-90s.

Also I'm a type and printing nerd (up until a month ago, we had a 1200 lb, 70-year-old letterpress in our living room)
                        - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

I wish I could "like" all these posts! For me it is Harry Potter. I love either reading the books or watching the movies when my H is gone and the LO is in bed.

I also love playing any Lego games on Wii. They do have a LOTR ones now!

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                            Before kids, or rather before DD, I had plenty of time to geek out about a variety of things. Now?

Lately, I am on a kick about soap making (just as Sooner Texas and BonBon). I've been doing a bunch of research on the process and the properties of various ingredients. And, I have been making soap like crazy. I've got stuff coming in to make close to 25 pounds of soap. Luckily, my little sister wants to sell it for me, hehehe.

But ask me about yarn and knitting and I probably know more than average and can tell you about the various properties of a wide variety of fibers... So, I am a well rounded geek... with ADD.
                            Just to add to my geekdom... My sister is highly sensitive/allergic to artificial fragrances, so all of the soaps that I am making must be made with essential oils. As long as we are going down that road, we are also using no artificial colors as well. Yesterday, I stopped down to the local food co-op and purchased several herbs and spices to make into dye stuff for soap. I am so excited that the kids will be with their dad this weekend and I can play with the new stuff I made. It is so exciting. I obviously need a life, but it feels so good to be not purchasing stuff from mega-corporations and to know exactly what I am putting into these products.
                            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                              Just to add to my geekdom... My sister is highly sensitive/allergic to artificial fragrances, so all of the soaps that I am making must be made with essential oils. As long as we are going down that road, we are also using no artificial colors as well. Yesterday, I stopped down to the local food co-op and purchased several herbs and spices to make into dye stuff for soap. I am so excited that the kids will be with their dad this weekend and I can play with the new stuff I made. It is so exciting. I obviously need a life, but it feels so good to be not purchasing stuff from mega-corporations and to know exactly what I am putting into these products.
                              I looked for the "like" button on this. Are you going to be selling any of it (she asks, hopefully)?
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                                I looked for the "like" button on this. Are you going to be selling any of it (she asks, hopefully)?
                                Yes, we will be selling them. I have a batch that need another couple of weeks to finish curing, but I love to have testers... There are some wonky cuts from the ends of the molds that I cannot sell, but are perfectly functional soap. I would be more than happy to send these out as small samples for people to test for me, but I definitely want feed back on likes and dislikes.

She is also making lotion bars, lip balms, and laundry soap (soon to be from soap I made). I'm not sure if it is up on her website yet. www.notyourmothersapron.com
                                Kris

Comment

Working...
                                X