Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our last computer before the Lenovo was a dell and it was so cheaply built. It literally failed before the components. Blah.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
      The only drawback with a Mac is that we don't have windows office software for it and I'd need that. So I'd have to buy that as well. I mostly use the computer for Internet, word/excel, evernote and pictures. Nothing heavy.
      yeah, this is definitely an issue, which is why my first question was "what are you going to use it for?" you do pay an apple premium generally, and if you're not already invested in the infrastructure it might not make sense (and you might not want to get invested in the apple infrastructure, or else you might end up another one of us... one of us... one of us...)
      - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Originally posted by reciprocity View Post
        ... or else you might end up another one of us... one of us... one of us...)
        Come to the other side!!
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

When we needed a new laptop DH convinced me that we should get an Apple. I really couldn't see spending so much more for the brand, but now I can't imagine going back. We now have two MacBooks, iMac, iPad, and iPod touch. We love them. I know we are paying more for the name, but I also think we are paying more for quality and reliability. DH was able to get Office through the University for only $10 although you can open and save word and excel files with the mac programs too. He also dual boots on his MacBook and the iMac. He got Windows cheaply through the University. The only time he uses windows though is if he is using some specific software program for his reasearch that isn't available for the Mac.
          Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
            - You pay about 3-5x more for the same hardware with a mac logo on it as opposed to a pc. My last 2 laptops have had the consumer market best in processor speed and RAM, and I paid less than $1k for each of them (I skimp a little on graphics processing since I'm not a gamer, and hard drive size is basically irrelevant these days). If I'd wanted the same thing in a Mac, a) I wouldn't have been able to get it because they didn't have the fastest processors and higher levels of RAM out in larger-sized laptops (15+ inches) at the time, and b) I would've paid over $2.5k for it when it did come out. I would just feel like an idiot if I spent that kind of money for a brand name. Sorry.
            This is exactly what we've concluded. Our HPs have served us well and I'd rather put the extra $1,000+ in our vacation fund.

Comment

We are a Mac family and will never go back, Macbooks, iphones (although I'm not as addicted to the phone), Time Capsule, etc.

We originally went to Macs, me for photo/video processing/ease and him for graphics stuff he was doing in his lab at the time.

The NUMBER ONE reason we won't go back to PCs is that we both HATE windows. DH has a brand new HP laptop that he has to use for work, we even tested this the first night he brought it home. We set them up side by side (his 5+ year old macbook pro) and his new HP laptop. It took the HP TONS longer to boot first off and then he had nothing but issues with getting things to run, etc. He only uses it because he has to for his dictation to be done from home.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
              X