Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How busy is the board..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe he could dye his hair to look younger? I had no idea some guys dyed their hair until they told me. I couldn't tell the difference.

We were post training once. Dh was a doctor at a private clinic in a tourist town. We'd already done the medical school and residency and even compulsory egyptian military duty as a doctor. We were a couple years out but not 5-6 year were some have mentioned hitting a wall several years out. I remember I was just starting to like the breathing room that post training afforded even though I didn't like the 14-16 hour days he still worked. Now we've moved to the States and we're doing it all over again with the USMLE Steps and going for a residency. It may be several years before we see the other side of training again. Then again if he doesn't get a residency slot here we may be moving to the Gulf countries like Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. They say it's the New York of the Middle East though the temperatures get above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Yowza! At least he can take his American Board Certification after Step 3 to the gulf countries and be recognized there so he'll make better money than just his medical degree from Egypt. But of course we both prefer going through residency here and then having a medical practice in the States.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I know it sucks when you *really* need to talk to someone about the medical lifestyle, but I promise on the other side you'll be glad. Medicine is a freakishly small world.

Many times I think that my personal social network IRL is robust enough that I don't *need* this website like I did during training. That's what girlfriends are for. Still, there is a hidden universe to the lifestyle that you really just need to talk to someone who understands. Plus the peeps are fabu on here. You'll be addicted. Think of us as your dealer, we've giving your first tastes free.
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Big hugs You will get to 100, I promise it will happen. Several of us got there pretty quick in the debate forum. You've had great contributions, hang in there!
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I was slow to get to 100 posts because I was nervous about sharing too much and tend to erase my posts rather than submit them, but it was worth the wait to get in the private forums. From my perspective, you are doing a good job not posting fluff and the threads you have started have been interesting and good contributions.
          Last edited by L.Jane; 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
            We are finishing training this year and I have zero expectations of anything good coming of it, other than a higher tax bracket and moving again. I don't think there is any pot of gold waiting for us, or even a pot of silver. Or even a tupperware of tootsie rolls. Maybe a Tab and some Necco wafers.
            I love this - very much how i feel. I'm in the same boat, and truthfully so upset to have this year end.

Comment

Originally posted by lonelywife View Post
              I'm wondering how in the world I will ever get to 100 posts... On other boards I could do that in a few days. Here...it may take me a year. Are yall more talkative in the private forums or is this board just rather quiet in general? Still wanting to talk about marriage issues but don't really want to do it out here.
              You are doing great. I think the boards have been a little slow lately. Also, in the last few weeks we had a technical problem that slowed down the activity quite a bit for about a week. Feel free to start some discussion in the public forums too. Even discussions about fashion, cooking, or celebrities can be pretty active (and fun). See the TomKat thread or the Super Easy Indian Chicken thread.

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
              We are finishing training this year and I have zero expectations of anything good coming of it, other than a higher tax bracket and moving again. I don't think there is any pot of gold waiting for us, or even a pot of silver. Or even a tupperware of tootsie rolls. Maybe a Tab and some Necco wafers.
              This is why I love you. I'm 6 months to the end and getting pretty antsy. Then I keep reminding myself that we'll be doing 10+ years of psychoanalytical training after this and he'll be paid in Tab and Necco wafers.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

You'll get there sooner than you think...just feels slow when you really want to share something privately, I know. Also, wtf you guys got Necco wafers? I have a fuzzy Tic Tac and a wad of chewed up gum.

Comment

I bought fancy chocolate at Super Target. I'm living the high life! It was on sale $2.49 for a bar.
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                    Where the hell are my Necco wafers? I didn't get any.
                    Yes, what exactly are Necco wafers. I've never heard of them!!

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                      You'll get there sooner than you think...just feels slow when you really want to share something privately, I know. Also, wtf you guys got Necco wafers? I have a fuzzy Tic Tac and a wad of chewed up gum.
                      The fuzzy tic tac and wad of chewed up gum are residency, the wafers are for those who have finished.
                      -L.Jane

Comment

They are a slightly disgusting, yet satisfying candy... http://www.necco.com/Candy/Wafers.aspx
                        -L.Jane

Comment

You know the sweetheart candies at Valentine's? They are kind of like those but round. So very yummy.
                          Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                            The fuzzy tic tac and wad of chewed up gum are residency, the wafers are for those who have finished.
                            Haha, guess I have that to look forward to

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                              Also, wtf you guys got Necco wafers? I have a fuzzy Tic Tac and a wad of chewed up gum.
                              Ha ha ha!
                              Veronica

Comment

Ewww. I hate Necco wafers. I think I'd rather have a fuzzy tic tac. Anyhoo, I think residency is more like eating piles of horse shit and asking for more, please. Whereas, attendinghood is like the stale Twinkie you've been hoarding since they went out of business. Infinitely better, but it's no Bon Bon.
                                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                                X