Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Jobs for surgeons with no call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nt

Comment

Wow I consider my husband's schedule to be FABULOUS for a surgeon - I don't know how you would find a surgeon's job better then that. What specialty is he?

My DH does have one older partner, I would guess he's in his mid-50s and he does the same schedule.

One of the worst thing about doctor's is that they don't take care of themselves. Has he seen a doctor?

I think in an academic institution you might get a little reprieve because you'd have residents taking first call - but a surgeon getting out of call completely, very very rare I'm sure.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Has he had time to really look at his options for working less or is this you doing a little bit or research for him in hopes of getting him to start looking for a different type of job?
        It sounds very stressful. He's lucky to ha e someone looking out for him.
        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by lonelywife View Post
          Well, except that he has horrible headaches daily. He is 6 foot and weighs between 150/155. ( He was 165 when we married.) He has aged so much. I honestly don't know if he will be around for his retirement.
          Has he seen his own doc to get to the root of the issue? I'm not sure that losing 10-15 lbs is a big deal, but the headaches alone warrant a trip to his doc.

Comment

DH's uncle is an orthopedic surgeon with no call. This is because he's 70 and recently (within the past year) had to give up surgery privileges because of aging eyes. He has two partners and does consults and return to work clearances and finds it SO boring (but better than retiring). His partners do surgery and his salary is much lower than it used to be. Other than that, we don't know any physicians with 9-5 gigs, no call, even those in administration. MAYBE in insurance you'd find those hours.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
              Locums work?
              I think it depends on how the contract is set up. The locum that they hire here has call for the time they're here to give the ONE gen surgeon the ability to use vacation and get out of town.

Comment

nt

Comment

I've told him if he wants to be a national park ranger ( his 2nd choice of a career) that would be fine with me. But I think he hesitates to give up the profession he spent so much time on..

Comment

Originally posted by lonelywife View Post
                    I've told him if he wants to be a national park ranger ( his 2nd choice of a career) that would be fine with me. But I think he hesitates to give up the profession he spent so much time on..
                    IMHO - it is not worth it IF it is affecting his quality of life.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Well like Deb said I think the only way a surgeon is going to have no call is to do what her husband's uncle did but like she also said the salaries take a huge hit. There were two surgeons in DH's training practice that did this - one semi-retired and did only the administrative stuff, after a year he was so bored he retired permanently. The other had to give up surgery for a medical condition and he still has a hand in the department more then 5 years later but I think he's more of an emeritus and doesn't do much of anything. He's drawing his pension which is sweet where we trained so it makes little difference to him.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I've worked for the Department of the Interior at a national historic site. There is stress there, too. It's just a different kind.

How does he deal with stress?

Comment

Park ranger is my husband's #2 career choice, too! He even worked for the NPS one summer in college.

I was also thinking about outpatient surgery centers as a no-call option? But I don't really know anything about surgery.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

nt
                            Last edited by spaz; 03-07-2013, 04:15 AM. Reason: privacey

Comment

I should have even more specific. What does he do to alleviate his stress? Workout, meditate, ride Harleys, drink...?

And those situations suck balls. Holy shit.

Comment

nt

Comment

Working...
                                X