Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Jobs for surgeons with no call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DD, you'd be a fabulous counselor! We need to get you a cape of some sort...

Comment

You mentioned elsewhere that you have a multi million dollar net worth. I bet if you did some math he could walk away from working, or at least lay in a five year plan to step down and just be a farmer or a ranger until the kids move on and leave the nest so you can do your mission work. Even having a plan should be a stress reliever.
      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by lonelywife View Post
        He offered to put him on anti-depressants but obviously he can't operate or be on call and take those....
        I'm confused by this. Why not?
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Hell I want 9-5 hours.
          Brandi
          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            I'm confused by this. Why not?
            Same here. Lots of docs do both on antidepressants.

Comment

My husband offered up breast surgery (breast cancer) as an option. He says that you are still on call for your own patients, though. It's a very specialized little division - and I guess the people he knows in it have good schedules, no call.

Academics do provide relief with the first line of call going to residents -- you end up answering lots of phone calls from residents and fellows all night, but don't have to go in overnight so often unless you have to take someone to the OR.

I do know docs that have gone back to a fellowship to retrain in to something new because they just couldn't continue in the field they were in.

I like spotty's idea though; you've been so frugal and careful, it may just pay off for you sooner than you'd think.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Could he go part time or 3/4 time?
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

In my experience (only one hospital in the NE) when a surgeon stops taking call the referrals dry up pretty quickly. Here no call = perception of retirement. We are in a large area, so it may be different in a rural area.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

nt

Comment

If you can afford to walk away, I don't understand why the kids are an issue. If he's this burnt out and you can afford for your DrH to retire, what is holding you back?
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

nt

Comment

nt

Comment

Well, my DH wouldn't take cold meds and work, either, and he follows airline guidelines of 12 hours between last sip of alcohol and a shift, but he does take Ritalin before some shifts (he has ADHD). I don't know whether or not we know any surgeons on antidepressants, but there are some antidepressants and anti anxiety meds DH won't let his paramedics take and be able to work. There are some he does allow. Has your DH sought counseling? I know you said its difficult in your small town, but it sounds like he (and/or you) might benefit from it, even if it has to be phone based. It seems you are at a tough stage and could use help sorting things out, and determining your future direction.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                              It seems you are at a tough stage and could use help sorting things out, and determining your future direction.
                              Yes this!

I don't know how you could do surgery without taking call, just doesn't seem possible unless he could find some sort of consult only niche.
                              Tara
                              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                                Well, my DH wouldn't take cold meds and work, either, and he follows airline guidelines of 12 hours between last sip of alcohol and a shift, but he does take Ritalin before some shifts (he has ADHD). I don't know whether or not we know any surgeons on antidepressants, but there are some antidepressants and anti anxiety meds DH won't let his paramedics take and be able to work. There are some he does allow. Has your DH sought counseling? I know you said its difficult in your small town, but it sounds like he (and/or you) might benefit from it, even if it has to be phone based. It seems you are at a tough stage and could use help sorting things out, and determining your future direction.
                                Yeah, cold meds and (most) antidepressants are completely different things, in how they affect performance/attention/focus. I'd be curious what the criteria/guidelines are that your DH uses for his paramedics, Deebs.
                                Sandy
                                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                                X