Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lab Owners/Owners of dogs with HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab Owners/Owners of dogs with HD

Since I don't yet have access to the private forums until I have 100 posts, I thought I'd ask here!

How many of you are lab owners or owners of dogs--large breed or otherwise--with hip dysplasia? What is your experience with this and how do you deal with it?

We found out our yellow lab (a rescue from a bad breeder) had hip dysplasia two years ago this past February. It wasn't super progressed, but it was enough that he limps after long bouts of activity. Since then we've had to stop long fetching/running sessions, mostly we have to keep him out of the dog park, and limit him to walks, swimming, etc. He is perfectly happy, but it hurts me to see him limp after he's had an active day.

The way we found out was so odd. We adopted him when he was 14 months old and for the first 2 years we had him, he was super active--running, etc. Then one day out of seemingly no where, he was out fetching the tennis ball and that night, he was limping. That's when we got the xrays and found out. But it was like a switch had turned on and all of a sudden, he was in pain.

We haven't yet started any daily doses of Rimadyl or anything. But I find that I feel so bad often because he's less active than other dogs simply because he's in pain. I can see that he's in pain (well, maybe not pain, but at least discomfort) when he's out with other dogs and as soon as he stops moving he immediately sits down. I can see the struggle has he hauls himself up from laying down. Don't get me wrong--he is such a happy, loving, goofy dog. But it just hurts me to know he has pain or limitations.

What are your experiences?
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Thankfully, greyhounds are not prone to HD like many other big breeds, so I have no clue. Poor pup.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
      Thankfully, greyhounds are not prone to HD like many other big breeds, so I have no clue. Poor pup.
      They are lucky they are so light!!

My cousin and his partner recently adopted a rescue Greyhound that came from a sad racing situation. She is the absolute sweetest, graceful, mild-mannered dog ever. They just love her and she's such a great do go to be around. Makes me hate the things these dogs have to go to before they find themselves in rescues.

My cousin's partner and I often joke that we're going to have to buy a farm somewhere so he can rescue all of the abused greyhound and I can rescue all of the abused or neglected labs. That's seriously my life dream.
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

It has been a while since we had our geriatric golden. He died 7 years ago. He was on Rimadyl. If we could stay ahead of the pain, keep his weight down, he did well. However, my guy was much older (10) and had slowed down quite a bit. We also would take him to a friend's pool for exercise...but it sounds like your guy is in worse shape. So sorry.

I bet Michele (our amazing Vet) has a better answer.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I have found that most people with this experience it didn't come across it with their dogs until they were much older. Another thing that kills me. Cooper was 3 when we found out. He is, sadly, the product of such an irresponsible and terrible breeder. He is very obviously overbred and HD is just one of the issues he has. He is also completely riddled with allergies that make him absolutely miserable with itching and yeast-infected paws and under-chin and neck skin. He is a happy dog and we give him lots of love and care but I just wish he could catch a break with all the itching and allergies and sore joints.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
            I have found that most people with this experience it didn't come across it with their dogs until they were much older. Another thing that kills me. Cooper was 3 when we found out. He is, sadly, the product of such an irresponsible and terrible breeder. He is very obviously overbred and HD is just one of the issues he has. He is also completely riddled with allergies that make him absolutely miserable with itching and yeast-infected paws and under-chin and neck skin. He is a happy dog and we give him lots of love and care but I just wish he could catch a break with all the itching and allergies and sore joints.
            Re: skin issues. I'd check his thyroid. Beware, ours cost a little over $200 to get the full test. Our dog was a little less than 2 yrs old (too young the vet said) when he was diagnosed. Once he was on his med regimen the skin issues resolved. We also used supplements for the allergy and his coat improved considerably. We used the Solid Gold Sea Meal and got rid of what we thought was good food (Science Diet) because it was loaded with corn and fed him raw for a while until we found Honest Kitchen.

ETA: I only brought up the thyroid because we spent waaaaay more $$ in the year before trying to get rid of the allergies/skin infections. Now, it cost us $21/month for his meds.
            Last edited by medpedspouse; 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
              Re: skin issues. I'd check his thyroid. Beware, ours cost a little over $200 to get the full test. Our dog was a little less than 2 yrs old (too young the vet said) when he was diagnosed. Once he was on his med regimen the skin issues resolved. We also used supplements for the allergy and his coat improved considerably. We used the Solid Gold Sea Meal and got rid of what we thought was good food (Science Diet) because it was loaded with corn and fed him raw for a while until we found Honest Kitchen.

ETA: I only brought up the thyroid because we spent waaaaay more $$ in the year before trying to get rid of the allergies/skin infections. Now, it cost us $21/month for his meds.
              That is good to know--we've not considered the Thyroid that it hasn't come up with our vet. After many diet changes (no corn, no chicken, no 'meal' of any kind), fish oil, and other supplements, special shampoos, benadryl, allegra, etc, he remains the same. We've tried cutting out all people food, but to no avail. The vet finally said it was most likely an environmental allergy as opposed to a food allergy. I think it's a mixture of both (I just think he got a shit-end of the stick with his genes) but we can't know for sure unless we do a food trial. For a dog his size over about 8 weeks it would cost about $5k and we just can't afford it. We just try to feed him wholesome food, keep his bedding clean, keep the carpets vaccumed, and give him his allergy meds.

The thyroid is something I will bring up next visit--we have spent thousands on this back-and-forth over the years and I just want some relief for him! The most relief he got recently was during a regiment of prednisone to help clear up his infections...but prednisone is obviously not something we can do long term.

sigpic

Comment

Definitely ask your vet about thyroid or other reasons for his skin disease.

Re: arthritis and hip dysplasia. You should talk to your vet about supplements. There are foods for joint disease, glucosamine, fatty acids and such that can help. And of course, acupuncture and cold laser therapy. All before you get into Rimadyl and other pain meds.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                  Definitely ask your vet about thyroid or other reasons for his skin disease.

Re: arthritis and hip dysplasia. You should talk to your vet about supplements. There are foods for joint disease, glucosamine, fatty acids and such that can help. And of course, acupuncture and cold laser therapy. All before you get into Rimadyl and other pain meds.
                  We give him glucosamine w/ chondroitin every day, as well as have put him on a food for joints! Should have mentioned that earlier

sigpic

Comment

My family had Great Danes growing up, so I know how hard something like this can be. That being said, I never had to be the one in charge of it because I was still a kid. I remember though my parents gave the dog supplements that helped a little. They also had her sleep in a twin bed on a frame so that she didn't have to get down so low. Eventually, we had to put her down because she was in too much pain . I have a Great Dane of my own now, but she is still a puppy, only 8 months. I make sure to feed her quality food and monitor her weight. Essentially, I can relate, but have no really answers. Hopefully, just the support helps a little.

Comment

Our ridiculously-sized malamute has HD. We noticed shortly after we rescued him (he was 8 months old and 160 lbs.) that his hips were subluxing when he walked quickly or ran. We started him on glucosamine/chondroitin supplements and changed his food. The food the other people were feeding him was for smaller puppies and they were WAY over-feeding him. Once we changed his food and had him walking everyday so he lost some weight, his hips seemed to be much better. He wasn't limping and you could only hear the subluxing occasionally when he was really running hard. He's now 4 years old and sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies when he walks, but doesn't show any signs of being in pain and never limps. We're keeping an eye on it closely, though.

Comment

We perform a strict routine of short, frequent walks to help build his muscle back up. After we finish this, we will progress to longer walks but nothing too strenuous. I am hoping the strengthening of his muscles will help alleviate some pain for him. He's also losing the extra five pounds he's packed on in the past seven months. I also notice that he seems to be much more stiff when it's very cold or damp...I know that's sort of old-wives-tale- esque but I have noticed it!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X