Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What is your favorite fact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite fact?

Anything at all...medical, non-medical, happy, gross, shocking, something you found out yourself, something you learned second-hand, etc. I love facts and lists, etc. and am constantly Googling or heading to Wikipedia.

Tell me the fact you LOVE sharing with others.

Recently, my favorite fact is c/o DH and was something he learned during Histology...

An examination of hot dogs revealed there to be every. single. type. of tissue in hot dogs. Bothers me sooo much but I still enjoy a hot dog from time to time.

Also? According to a list I found somewhere, pork is the meat that tastes closest to what human flesh tastes like. That one put me off pulled pork for a while...
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

I'm a sucker for a good fact. Among my favorites are going through the laundry list of differences between animals people often get confused...crocodile vs alligator, turtle vs tortoise, frog vs road, dolphin vs porpoise. You catch my drift.

Comment

I've gone completely blank... I love trivia, though. I hope more people chime in, and maybe it'll trigger something for me!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm trying to recall our last trivia night. It's been a while.

- Mohammed is the most common given name in the world
        - Marilyn Monroe was on the cover of the first Playboy magazine
        - Paul McCartney's first name is James
        - Both Mark Wahlberg and Seth MacFarlane were originally scheduled to be on Flight 11 on 9/11. Mark changed his travel plans shortly before the flight and Seth's travel agent told him the wrong departure time, making him just late enough to miss the final boarding call.
        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Going with the Paul McCartney thing...he's right handed with everything except playing bass. Mother Mary in Let It Be is in reference to his mother Mary, not the Virgin Mary, coming to him in a dream along with the melody of the song. Einstein's famous formula was derived from Emilie du Chatelet's principle of kinetic energy. Washington didn't cut down a cherry tree, instead his mother's favorite horse died while he rode it. After almost thirty years, the town of Sweet Valley, which started off with 40 characters, grew to the size of a real town. Fast food ice has been proven to be dirtier than toilet water. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wanted to write historical books but after his fellow physician business partner bankrupted him, he turned to short stories. Holmes was based on two of his medical school professors. Edgar Allan Poe pretty much created the short story and modern detective fiction.

Comment

Found this today:
            http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_5...yday-products/
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Of the nearly 7 million boys and girls who currently play sports in high school, only about 126,000 student-athletes will receive either a partial or full athletic scholarship to play sports in college. That’s less than 2 percent.

Yet there is a significant minority of people who act like kids' sports are THE most important aspect of their lives.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                Yet there is a significant minority of people who act like kids' sports are THE most important aspect of their lives.
                EXACTLY!! Next time my cousin is bragging about how her kid is definitely going to play basketball at UNC (OF ALL PLACES), I'm going to remember this fact...
                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                  Fast food ice has been proven to be dirtier than toilet water.
                  Seals the deal that I'm only getting bottles of water on the rare occasions I actually eat fast food.

sigpic

Comment

Columbus had FOUR ships

Comment

I'll just copy and paste it:

What was the first successful tornado forecast? Nobody knows when was the first time someone claimed a tornado would occur in an area, and it happened. But the first documented, successful tornado forecast by meteorologists was on March 25, 1948, by Air Force Capt. (later Col.) Robert Miller and Major Ernest Fawbush. After they noticed striking similarities in the developing weather pattern to others which produced tornadoes (including the Tinker AFB, OK, tornado several days before), Fawbush and Miller advised their superior officer of a tornado threat in central Oklahoma that evening. Compelled from above to issue a yes/no decision on a tornado forecast after thunderstorms developed in western Oklahoma, they put out the word of possible tornadoes, and the base carried out safety precautions. A few hours later, despite the tiny odds of a repeat, the second tornado in five days directly hit the base. For more insight into this event, Charlie Crisp has transcribed the late Col. Miller's recollections of the event; and they are now online.
                      What makes it even better is the dude was a Californian just recently assigned to Oklahoma and was totally new to the crazy weather there.
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                      X