Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu

My DH came down with the flu this week and has now given it to me! Fever, headache, nausea, cough, chills are the main symptoms. He went on Tamiflu, an antiviral, about a day after his symptoms started, and I should have taken it prophylactically at that point. I started getting sick yesterday afternoon and started the Tamiflu today. Now there's a run on Tamiflu -- I could only find one pharmacy in DC that had one box left! Yes, we both had flu shots in early November.

Is anyone else out there sick?

We're not sick, but Colorado has been hit really hard by the flu. We both had flu shots and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So far, no outbreak at preschool either. We decided not to give Bryn the shot, started wavering on that decision, and then the vaccine shortage started. She's off the hook now! I've heard that there are shortages of Tamiflu, too.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Comment

My kids are both sick, with fevers regularly getting up to 104 and above!!! No vomiting luckily (except for throwing up induced by a coughing fit!), but they have coughs, runny noses, and just feel crappy overall. They did have flu shots in early November (for once I had it together as a mom and did it early!!!), as did I. So far, my dh and I have not gotten sick, and I'm hoping it stays that way because I can't imagine taking care of them while feeling sick myself. Hope everyone else is well and hope you feel better soon Jill!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

My younger two have been sick....nasal congestion, headaches, sore throats, and temperatures up to 103. They haven't been too horribly sick, but it has really taken the life out of them. They are really tired and it is taking longer than normal for them to bounce back. So far, DH, me, and our oldest have shown no signs of it whatsoever. DH is the only one here who got a flu shot.....I have been kicking myself about that for the past couple of weeks, but hopefully we will come through it unscathed. The stories I have heard about this particular flu are really scary.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks, guys. I am beginning to feel better, thank goodness. I hope everyone's families get well soon!

Comment

Mike's got something cruddy, but it doesn't seem to be the flu. He saw 8 confirmed cases last week alone, though. When does it get called an epidemic?

Hope everyone feels better soon!

Comment

I spoke too soon.
              Bryn woke up in the middle of the night with a fever and has had a high fever, aches, and a headache all day today. Her throat hurts too so we are taking her in tomorrow to see if she has strep and/or flu. She feels really crummy when the Tylenol and Advil start to wear off. Poor kid!

The good news is that Eric and I both had flu shots. The bad news is that it sounds like a fair number of people are getting the flu anyway. I've been asthmatic all week and fighting a cold.... .....fingers crossed that I don't get the flu.

Comment

Don't you hate that Nellie--I had been telling some friends how lucky I felt that we had had several weeks of health at our house and that very day Sydney got sick. Today marks day 8 of fevers for her and day 7 for her sister--I don't know how much those poor kids (or me!) can take!!! I hope Bryn gets better soon!!!
                Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Yikes, I hope everyone is feeling better soon. DH and I both got flu shots, so I'm hoping we'll be spared (knock on ... my laminate desk. ) This flu does sound particularly scary!
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

7 and 8 days of fevers, Sue? Yikes!
                    Bryn doesn't much in the way of respiratory symptoms but her stomach really hurts. She's been throwing up the Advil and Tylenol so it's impossible to know how much she is getting....I think that is adding to her woes.

But 7 or 8 days! Wow --- hang in there, Sue.

Comment

Nellie,
                      Have you tried suppositories? It's not fun for either of you but at least you'll know she's getting a full dose!
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

It's strep not flu! Bryn's pediatrician was surprised -- he said that if he had just talked to us over the phone he would have thought flu. She had both the rapid flu and rapid strep test.

Good idea about the suppositories. She hasn't thrown up for a while so hopefully we are in the clear.

Are your kids feeling any better, Sue?

Comment

They seem to be on an upward trend today. Sydney hasn't had a fever today but has been very clingy (probably the result of being catered to for a whole week!!!). Maya has had a lower fever today (more like in the 101's). Both of them still have pretty snotty noses and they are both coughing as well, so it looks like they will be home with me for at least another day or so. I'm hoping Maya gets better by Thursday so she doesn't miss her school Christmas party!
                          I hope Bryn gets to feeling better soon! It is so hard to see them suffer like that, I can't imagine what it must be like to have a child with serious medical issues!!!
                          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

The last few weeks, every time I've been in an airport or on the planes I figured the person next to me will have been spewing their germs in my general direction. Thankfully, I haven't been hit yet, but since I'm off for two weeks after Friday, I'll no doubt get slammed then. It nevers fails. I never get sick during work.

Goo dluck to those who are sick or attending to sick people! And word to you parents, my mom had my brother and I home with the flu and then came down with it herself and didn't take care of herself and ended up with pneumonia and mandatory bedrest- so take care of yourselves, too!

Jenn

Comment

Thomas has been sick for a week now (and NO, he did NOT get a flu shot ) So he's busy infecting all of his immunocompromised patients.

I've been under the weather for two days now and the baby is still coughing/sneezing 8O I called the pediatricians office last week, btw...adn the triage nurse told me that he has to have a fever higher than102 for 3 days before he should be seen. Does that sound RIGHT to you guys? I told her that he was a month old and that I thought for the first three months any signs of fever, etc needed to be looked at. She was reading right off of a paper and told me no.

Alex was a little hoarse this morning but he insisted that he was well enough to go to school (imagine that...when he actually really starts school, he'll probably be faking it to get to stay home ) Amanda's eyes looked a little glazed over this morning and she was quieter than usual.....

It's going to hit us all full force right in time for christmas.

I hope everyone is doing ok...Sue, it sounds like you guys are on the upswing......Nellie..Strep? Yuck! I hope bryn is feeling better soon.

kris
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                              X