Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Your role as automatic "test subject" and live-in standardized patient

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your role as automatic "test subject" and live-in standardized patient

DH was using me as a practice dummy last night to practice for his clinical skills exam he has today. He performed an entire 1.5 hour set of comprehensive skills from the multi-page list of skills he may be tested on.

As I was being mercilessly poked and prodded, my knees being manipulated in such a way that they produced the "pop" he was looking for ("did you feel that pop?" "yes, it doesn't feel great. please stop" "oh, yeah, it's not supposed to feel good"), I reflected on how, in our short time in medical school, I have already been reduced to tears on multiple occasions while he tests things out on me.

My favorite: as he used my bare chest and abdomen to practice percussion sounds, he also looked for my liver. Since he had just learned this the same day, he started pressing down just a little too far north of where he was supposed to, jabbing me in a tender part of my ribs. When I yelped in pain and exclaimed that: "you're poking my rib, stop! It hurts!!", he scoffed and said "I'm not on your ribs". I continued to squirm in pain and he looks at me with both concern and an air of knowing and said "your liver is both enlarged and painful. Get dressed, we probably need to take you to the ED. This is not good". I told him "no, seriously, those are my ribs. You're poking my ribs." He had me lay back down and tried again. Miraculously, he then poked around in the correct area, found my actual liver and didn't poke my ribs. He left me with a tender spot on my ribs for the next couple days, but to this day maintains he "knew it was my ribs" the whole time. Right...that's why I was almost rushed to the hospital.

And second, he recently listened to my heart sounds and gleefully exclaimed I have a "benign systolic hear murmur". I burst into tears. I mean literally...burst into tears, crying "I don't want to have a heart murmur! How could no one have told me this before?" It was a good lesson for him in that: a) you can't look excited to hear something in an actual human that you've only heard in a recording when it's clearly something that might concern the patient and b) not everyone knows that "benign systolic heart murmur" means both "pretty common" and "not a big deal". The best part? A couple hours later he listened again and said..."wait, I actually don't think you have a heart murmur".

What have you been subjected to?
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

The only thing DH ever tested out on me was the OMT and I flove that shit.

Why, yes -- by all means go ahead as put that pesky rib back into place, dear...

Comment

DH has made me have my heart checked twice because I drop a beat...something they discovered when I was like 11...so I have successfully been told I'm fine by three cardiologists. I'm sure DH will make me go again though...

Comment

I didn't get used often. I wasn't a very nice standardized patient

I did let him practice the eye exam on me and almost was blinded. "Dear, you were supposed to tell me NOT to look directly at the light, but just to the right of it"
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          I didn't get used often. I wasn't a very nice standardized patient
          I have been dubbed "the worst kind of patient ever if you were real" and last night he told me he hopes I don't "act like this" when I go to a real doctors appointment. Hey, buddy. I'm doing you a favor! I asked him "what sorts of questions can I ask that would be helpful to you?" and he said "basically the opposite of everything you've just said, done, and asked". Whatever.
          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
            And second, he recently listened to my heart sounds and gleefully exclaimed I have a "benign systolic hear murmur". I burst into tears. I mean literally...burst into tears, crying "I don't want to have a heart murmur! How could no one have told me this before?" It was a good lesson for him in that: a) you can't look excited to hear something in an actual human that you've only heard in a recording when it's clearly something that might concern the patient and b) not everyone knows that "benign systolic heart murmur" means both "pretty common" and "not a big deal". The best part? A couple hours later he listened again and said..."wait, I actually don't think you have a heart murmur".
            Oh, you DEFINITELY need to learn quick that "benign" means "nothing to worry about", and then don't worry.
            DH used to bring out his stethoscope at gatherings with lots of med students so they could all hear my crazy murmur (advanced mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation) - it was loud and very obvious, and had been getting gradually worse since I was diagnosed with MVP as a teen. I had surgery to repair the valve a couple years ago, so no more murmur to hear, now.

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
            DH has made me have my heart checked twice because I drop a beat...something they discovered when I was like 11...so I have successfully been told I'm fine by three cardiologists. I'm sure DH will make me go again though...
            Have the cardiologists told you they're PVCs? If so, do they actually bother you, or is your DH just not aware of how utterly common and benign PVCs are?
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I actually tried to get my husband to practice on me and he never would. The best I got is when I felt sick, I made him listen to my lungs and make sure I didn't have pneumonia or something. I don't know why he refused!
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

He did the same thing on me for the CS. Pages of patient doctor role playing from the books and I had to be serious. The most intense part came the few weeks before the actual exam. That's about it though. He hasn't asked me to do much else though.
                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                  Have the cardiologists told you they're PVCs? If so, do they actually bother you, or is your DH just not aware of how utterly common and benign PVCs are?
                  They rarely bother me...I usually don't feel it (though occasionally I do)...and he knows--he's just randomly overly cautious on this particular issue (I think mainly because I also have fainting spells due to low blood pressure, which isn't a problem so long as I eat enough salt - so it almost never happens anymore (once in the last few years)). He wanted to make sure they weren't linked/wasn't something serious.

Comment

Yes, I've been subjected to all that too. When he was studying for clinicals, I never knew whether being asked to remove my shirt was the foreplay or the beginning of a medical exam.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      Yes, I've been subjected to all that too. When he was studying for clinicals, I never knew whether being asked to remove my shirt was the foreplay or the beginning of a medical exam.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsk View Post
                        yes, i've been subjected to all that too. When he was studying for clinicals, i never knew whether being asked to remove my shirt was the foreplay or the beginning of a medical exam.
                        right???

sigpic

Comment

I always wanted to make foreplay but he always told me to settle down and be serious he's trying to study. lol In my early 20's I was diagnosed with MVP too. Turns out both my parents have it and my grandparents and some aunts and uncles and cousins. The RNs I worked with at the hospital always tried to listen to my heart to hear it. I guess it's not obvious because they'd take turns for hours listening with the stethoscope. The doctor though would always get it right off?
                          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I hated it when he was learning how to take a bp. He would inflate the cuff overly tight (for someone who is typically in the normal range) and then take foreveeeeeer to deflate the damn thing. My hand would be hurting by the time he was done. Then he wanted to repeat it. Um no.

But I did have fun with him when he was doing cultural sensitivity stuff. I had all sorts of whack a doo religious beliefs that were inviolate.
                            Kris

Comment

It's funny this comes up today, as I'm wearing a "bracelet" of purple suture around my wrist from where she was practicing her knots last night.

I offered to let her test her stitching too, so as to spare the poor sponge, but she didn't take me up on it.
                              - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Working...
                              X