Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If you lost your home in a fire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you lost your home in a fire...

What is something small/relatively inexpensive (under $40) that you would miss in the meantime?

This is a serious question actually! My poor coworker came back from vacation to find her house had gone up in flames. Not everything is burned, but what isn't had smoke and water damage. All they had are the clothes/items they took on vacation.

They are going to rebuild and will be in a rental with a "corporate" setup furniture rental for at least the next 6 months. I know they will get money to replace things, but I'd like to get her something she would appreciate in the meantime. Ideally a household item you might not think about all the time, but would really miss if it were gone.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Framed pictures...do you have access to her Facebook? Can you print and frame some photos of hers to make the temp housing feel a bit more homey?

Comment

I actually do, but Facebook images aren't printable quality. Good idea, though!
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Maybe a nice, large bath towel for each member of the family? Every time I'm in a hotel or when I was studying abroad I really missed the comforting feeling of the nice towels you buy for yourself at home. Even if you don't know her preferred color scheme, white ones are always a safe bet--at the very least they can be used for guests after they are back and settled in.

Other than that, as far as practicality goes, I would appreciate a good, high-powered hair dryer instead of the wimpy shit on the walls of hotel bathrooms. That's all I'm coming up with right now...

Continuing to brainstorm, ETA: A pair of PJs for each of them? Relatively inexpensive at Old Navy or Target and definitely provide some homey comfort.
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I like the pajama idea! And towels. Along that line, pillows and blankets (you know how my family lives pillows and blankets).
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
            I like the pajama idea! And towels. Along that line, pillows and blankets (you know how my family lives pillows and blankets).
            I was also going to suggest a nice, comfy set of sheets!
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

when our neighbor's house burned down they wanted gift cards for toiletries
              Needs

Comment

I love the PJ idea! Maybe head to TJMaxx - then you could check out towels, sheets, etc too.
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Coffee pot/small appliances. I love the blanket idea. A bunch of paper products (plates, bowls, cups, dinner wear, etc).
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Pjs and gift cards

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking gift cards, towels and small appliances. Maybe a crock pot (seriously, they can make a hot home-cooked meal in the hotel room and save a little money). I can ask my mom what came in handy when my family was displaced from Hurricane Andrew. (I was in college.) I know they ate out a lot so even gift cards for pizza or resturants would be nice. Also, they had a very helpful drycleaner who took in all their clothes and stored them until my folks had a more perminant home. If they are staying in a hotel, even laundering clothes may be difficult.
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I asked her how her pictures fared and offered to do photos with them. Apparently that was the right thing because she almost got a little emotional

Apparently her husband's first priority was to buy $350 worth of tea making items to replace an electric tea maker that was lost. lol

Comment

Working...
                        X