Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Office Manager, friend or foe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys!
    Oops, so what I meant by credentialing and licensing is that we're moving out of state & so we're applying for that state's licensing. Several states are now requiring FCVS to be used as part of the credentialing for the application process.
    Wife of a MIS/Bariatric Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
      This. So much this
      OK, I guess I would look into it. But I handle all legal and personal admin (like credentialing) for DH, always have, at several institutions, and i've never had a problem getting a secretary/administrator to do it. All DH had to do was say, "Send it to her." And I sure a hell wouldn't let the secretary dictate to DH how he will get it done or how. It's simple, hon: send it to me and it gets done. I don't care if no other doc in the dept does it this way. Just do it.

Comment

We were also moving out of state and had to have two state licenses, we were not assisted at all in that process so if she's willing (and its part of her job) to help - then let her do it.

I will second what someone else said - no one in DH's office works directly for him except his NP. She is the only one I feel comfortable e-mailing and that is only when its a matter of blocking off his schedule. Otherwise I try to stay out of the office politics, roles, responsibilities.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

There's also a difference between a doc saying "send it to my wife" and a wife just taking care of things on her own.
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Yeah, he's always defaulted to me to handle the business/admin stuff...and I really would rather it be that way because I know that it's getting done right, and on time. Technically, his employment doesn't even start with them until August 1st and he has his license...

The OM called the state licensing department to 'check on the progress,' and since she isn't on the info release, they wouldn't tell her anything. After that she asked DH for his mother's maiden name and other personal identifying info of the sort and when he asked why, she told him it was so she could have access to these things. I personally feel like that's a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
              There's also a difference between a doc saying "send it to my wife" and a wife just taking care of things on her own.
              ITA

When DH and I worked for the same department, the coordinator would always ask me for stuff related to DH. I once told her "HE is all yours when he sets foot at the HSC because I have my hands full just taking care of his stuff at home"
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.Doctor305 View Post
                Yeah, he's always defaulted to me to handle the business/admin stuff...and I really would rather it be that way because I know that it's getting done right, and on time. Technically, his employment doesn't even start with them until August 1st and he has his license...

The OM called the state licensing department to 'check on the progress,' and since she isn't on the info release, they wouldn't tell her anything. After that she asked DH for his mother's maiden name and other personal identifying info of the sort and when he asked why, she told him it was so she could have access to these things. I personally feel like that's a bit much.
                I wouldn't have given that level of identifying information. IMO, it is fair for the OM to send him an info release for the purposes of the state licensing (and xyz...revokable xyz...) for him to sign, but if I were him I wouldn't give that out personal information because it is also used as identification verification for banks, etc.
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

That's exactly what I said! Thank goodness he didn't, I mean, with all the standard personal info you are required to provide, that definitely takes it too far. Is anyone else concerned with the lack of privacy physicians have?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.Doctor305 View Post

you don't want to know what I know about the doc I work for. Seriously, it is a good thing I have ethics.
                    Kris

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                      I wouldn't have given that level of identifying information. IMO, it is fair for the OM to send him an info release for the purposes of the state licensing (and xyz...revokable xyz...) for him to sign, but if I were him I wouldn't give that out personal information because it is also used as identification verification for banks, etc.
                      I have to disagree, all of those things are part of the forms that insurance companies require for the credentialing process.
                      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                        I have to disagree, all of those things are part of the forms that insurance companies require for the credentialing process.
                        To be more specific: Any information necessary (mother's maiden name/SSN/whatever) could be outlined in a release form -- how the OM will use the information, in what context and how the information is protected/destroyed. It is fair to ask for some level of identifying information protection. I would still not give it over the phone -- how can you be sure the person is who they claim to be? What if she typo'd it or heard something different?
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I would have him respond to her, CCing you, and ask her to CC you on things "sheepishly" (not really but it's all in tone and playing nice before you meet her) because he's super busy finishing up fellowship and you've been handling this stuff up until now and will probably respond faster than he will. Until he gives the directive, she may not feel comfortable replying back to you.

He should stop forwarding because that's just awkward for him/you/her.

Responding and CCing you is the way I would handle it in any setting (business or otherwise). Hell, most of DH's friends have even started CCing me if they want a faster answer.
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                          X