Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Smart phones - iPhone vs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only non-iPhones that we had were back in 09/10 when we had Blackberries because AT&T reception was crap in Chicago and DH was interviewing for residency. Otherwise, the iPhone fits nicely in with our "Apple tree"
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Our native maps on the iPhone 4S does voice step by step navigation. I don't use the google maps app at all.

Everyone has an iPhone here. But kinda expected bc I drive to cupertino every day. Then again, google is my closer neighbor...

Well anyway. For kids, iPhone has saved my life many times. I stream Hulu plus on it a lot (cartoons) and the kid apps are good and varied. So if that's a consideration at all...

We are waiting for the new iPhone for upgrades.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
        Add the Google Maps app. Step-by-step directions and you don't have to keep the app open.
        Love love love the Google Maps app. My only problem is I haven't figured out how to link it to my contacts so I can use the addresses I have stored there for navigation. I have been going to my contacts and copying and pasting the address, but surely there's an easier way, right?
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

LM I have the same issue but I also haven't spent any time trying to fix it.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We are 100% an Apple household. What can I say, I love their products. Being able to sync across you phone, tablet, and computer is such a win, IMO. They fit my needs and after upgrading to the iPhone 5, I was very happy with it. Yes, there aren't huge differences, but it's soooo much faster. My iPhone 4 lasted me over two years with nary an issue, so I expect the same from the 5, and was pleased with the changes that were made from the 4 to the 5. I never experienced issues with Google maps or Apple Maps, etc. In fact, I absolutely love their turn-by-turn navigation and how it works with app running in the background, if you're on the phone, if you're listening to music, etc. That map is still going and shouting directions at you. I just feel like it is a far, far more user friendly device. I'll stick with iPhones until I hear something consistent about Droids/Androids/Galaxys/Nexus/HTC. Everyone I know, from friends to family, who has gone for a droid or HTC experienced issues, hated them, and immediately opted for iPhones as soon as they could.
            Last edited by WolfpackWife; 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM.
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I have the Google Maps app., but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do voice commanded directions like my navigation system on my Android did. I want it to give me directions while I am driving so I don't have to look at my phone. Am missing something? Does Google Maps do that?
              Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Mine does it. DH's fav thing to do on road trips is to tell the google maps lady to shut up.
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I loved my iPhone until they updated the software and it got so slow I couldn't use it. It was not compatible with that generation of phone. DH had the same one, didn't install the update and his worked fine.
                  When it came to upgrading our phones I switched to Samsung Galaxy SII and love it. I won't go back to the iPhone because I hate itunes - it only acknowledged 50% of the mp3 files I have while there are no issues with the Android. I also hate being forced to buy all apple brand everything, they're just so expensive.
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                    Mine does it. DH's fav thing to do on road trips is to tell the google maps lady to shut up.
                    Mine does too! When you put the directions in and then push start there are 3 little dots in the bottom right corner. There is an option to mute or unmute, maybe yours is muted??

My Maps App also talks...
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Michelle - have you gone through your texts messages and "cleared" (delete) them? Whenever you send or receive pics the phone stores them. Like LM, I "gained" about 9 gigs by simply clearing my texts to DH and BFF!
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yeah, the iphone5 has step by step navigation in apple maps and google maps. I hate androids. I wouldn't use one if I got it for free.
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe View Post
                          I have the Google Maps app., but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do voice commanded directions like my navigation system on my Android did. I want it to give me directions while I am driving so I don't have to look at my phone. Am missing something? Does Google Maps do that?
                          Yes, it can give turn by turn directions, and it reroutes automatically. If mine is plugged into the charger (USB) but Bluetooth is off, it doesn't do voice directions, but other than that, it should.
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

What I thought was the Google Maps app. on my phone must actually be another Maps app. I swear I remember downloading the Google Maps app, but I must have selected something different. I just downloaded Google Maps. I've checked my settings which all say that my voice command is on and at normal volume level. Hopefully, I will get the voice commands to work. If so, then I will have absolutely nothing to miss about my Android.
                            Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I like the iPhone because it's small but that also means a smaller screen. SO has a Galaxy and loves it. Most people I know are changing from iPhones to Galaxy because of the bigger screen and less glitches. I'd feel like holding a laptop to my head, but the bigger screen does sound enticing...

Comment

For those with the 4S make sure you update your software and you will have the turn by turn navigation system.
                                Tara
                                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                                X