Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Scrub tops and trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub tops and trousers

I've been working for several university HSCs for many years and have noticed an odd trend...at least for me. I have seen male students, residents and attendings wearing a scrub top tucked into their trousers. I am not talking about the person that got some bodily fluid on their shirt and now has no other choice but to wear a scrub top...I am talking about people that wear that as their uniform - like wearing a shirt and tie to see patients. First of all, hospital issued scrub tops are not tailored - they are usually bunched up in their pants. Second, pukey green and baby blue are not good colors for anyone. Thirdly, I thought that scrubs were only allowed when you are actually doing something that requires scrubs (i.e. OR). I guess half a scrub is ok to see clinic patients? When did this become fashionable? Does your DH do this? I say DH because I have never seen the females do this business.

Maybe I should have put this in debates - some may think this is hawt.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

DH wears all scrubs or no scrubs. If he's in dress pants, he's in a dress shirt. He wears scrubs and white coat to see clinic pts at the VA, but at the U, he wears dress clothes to clinic most of the time. The only exception is if he's hopping between OR and clinic - scrubs all day. The new maroon scrubs are not to be worn outside the hospital or even the OR. If you have to run someplace else in the hospital, you need to toss on a white coat. The admin will actually dock your pay if they catch you not following protocol!

I do have to say that I see more scrub pants (green) with a random shirt in the medicine specialties - I haven't noticed it amongst surgeons.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yikes! That's a scary trend, lol. Dh always wears dress pants/shirt/tie/dress shoes, even if he's just going to L&D to change into scrubs.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Ewwwwwwww. I haven't seen that yet...thank goodness!

Our trauma/night float surgeons often wear a fleece over their scrub pants when in-house call. It is always really cold in this place so I don't blame them.
        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

We also have a dress code...but some people always seem to think it does not apply to them. Maybe the scrub top/trouser business is a regional thing. I saw it today and thought "WTH"

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
            When did this become fashionable?
            Um, it's kind of the antithesis of fashion. It's pure practicality.

DH prefers to wear a shirt and tie to work. However, if he is there overnight or if he's near the end of a long stretch of shifts and just too wiped to suffer for fashion, he finds a scrub top more comfortable than a tie. (His scrubs are navy.) But he doesn't like scrub pants, so...scrub top tucked into slacks. It works. *shrug*
            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
              Um, it's kind of the antithesis of fashion. It's pure practicality.

DH prefers to wear a shirt and tie to work. However, if he is there overnight or if he's near the end of a long stretch of shifts and just too wiped to suffer for fashion, he finds a scrub top more comfortable than a tie. (His scrubs are navy.) But he doesn't like scrub pants, so...scrub top tucked into slacks. It works. *shrug*
              Why tucked in to the pants? I get the comfort/practicality. However tucking in your scrub top is not going to make it better. I am honestly curious.

Comment

You've got me there. I don't think he wears t-shirts hanging out either.
                Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                  You've got me there. I don't think he wears t-shirts hanging out either.
                  DrK is really into the whole tucking his shirt in thing too. He tucks his t-shirts into his gym shorts and jeans, tucks in Hawaiian shirts that are clearly tailored to be worn untucked. I think it's a nice boy growing up with his momma always telling him to tuck in his shirt thing.
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Hahaha that's R too! Although I think I have him trained to ask before he tucks now. Haha
                    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

DH also tucks and wears a belt. He says its so the pager and other "gear" can clip on his waist. Before residency, not a shirt tucker.....
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi;
                        Our trauma/night float surgeons often wear a fleece over their scrub pants when in-house call. It is always really cold in this place so I don't blame them.
                        This is DH. He was not issued an intern white coat that fits. It's absurdly small. So he wears scrubs and a half zip fleece all day long. Luckily, he gets a Uro white coat for next year.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

dw loves to wear scrubs for overnight calls. she says it's very comfortable and saves the hassle of picking matching clothes.

Comment

I still think about this thread because of the hygiene issue with scrubs. lol It reminds me to have some plan in place to keep them separate and clean.
                            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Put mine in the scub top with cargo pants column. It seems to be a uniform of sorts in the ED. When DH was in fellowship, three out of 4 males wore cargo pants with a polo or scrub top every shift.

For DH, the tucking vs not tucking is based on the size if the top.

We don't get hospital issued scrubs, so his came from Walmart for $5. Lol
                              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X