Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I have phone rage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
    Angie,

Not to sound completely inept, but ... Can they just transfer my current # to the phone? Shameful that I don't know this...
    It should be as easy as switching out the sim card from one phone to the other, but you'll want to do it at the store so they can make sure it fits and activate it and whatever.
    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
      Kris - seriously....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1784[/ATTACH]

Let me know. None of these have a home. There's a 4, a few 3's and an original, I think.
      Lol your graveyard is much more size able than mine is!! You must hoard cast offs as well
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

2 teenagers and an attending hubby. New job gave him a new phone as well.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I had an old iPhone 3G that had somehow... exploded? I don't know, I saw it in the drawer where I'd put it when I upgraded, and the case was separated. So I've just ignored it for a year until I finally looked up trade-ins, and I mailed it off to Gazelle for a $10.50 Amazon card! LOL, if I'd fixed it, it might be worth more, but I figured it was better than trying to remember to take it somewhere to recycle it, and I didn't want to put it in the regular trash. Just a thought for you iPhone hoarders!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

LM, DH just upgraded to the 5 and sold his great condition 4 for $140 on gazelle! I don't know why, I just hang onto them for some reason but he's always chomping at the bit to make some $$ off of them if he can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Sim card should work unless Kris has Verizon. Their iPhones don't have sims (or phones you can access). You might have some trouble across carriers.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                Sim card should work unless Kris has Verizon. Their iPhones don't have sims (or phones you can access). You might have some trouble across carriers.
                That's good point - cross carriers won't work unless the phone is jailbroken, which can be it's own pain in the ass from what I understand.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                  That's good point - cross carriers won't work unless the phone is jailbroken, which can be it's own pain in the ass from what I understand.
                  Number portability is law, to my understanding. If you have a number and switch carriers, they SHOULD be able to let you keep your number (There may be some exceptions like pre-paid plans or something like that).

If you're staying with the same carrier and switching phones, keeping the same number should definitely be no problem.

If you buy a phone that someone used on another carrier, it just depends on the phone; some hardware is not compatible with the frequencies of other carriers, so it just plain won't connect to that other carrier's network at all.

In order to switch sims between phones from different carriers that ARE hardware-compatible (or if you buy a phone that's not tied to a carrier), the phones need to be "unlocked" (not jailbroken). If the phone isn't unlocked the carrier should be able/willing to unlock it for you, but it might depend on the phone/carrier.

Jailbreaking is completely separate; that's what allows you to replace the OS with one you download from the internet (cyanagenmod is the popular one for android).
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I have a iPhone 5 on Verizon and have a sim card. However, my Droid on Verizon did not have a sim...
                    Kris

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                      Number portability is law, to my understanding. If you have a number and switch carriers, they SHOULD be able to let you keep your number (There may be some exceptions like pre-paid plans or something like that).

If you're staying with the same carrier and switching phones, keeping the same number should definitely be no problem.

If you buy a phone that someone used on another carrier, it just depends on the phone; some hardware is not compatible with the frequencies of other carriers, so it just plain won't connect to that other carrier's network at all.

In order to switch sims between phones from different carriers that ARE hardware-compatible (or if you buy a phone that's not tied to a carrier), the phones need to be "unlocked" (not jailbroken). If the phone isn't unlocked the carrier should be able/willing to unlock it for you, but it might depend on the phone/carrier.

Jailbreaking is completely separate; that's what allows you to replace the OS with one you download from the internet (cyanagenmod is the popular one for android).
                      Ohh...that makes sense. "Unlocked" is what I was thinking of in terms of being able to use a phone previously used on AT&T and switch it to Verizon...it sounds like it all just depends. That may still be wrong - I might not fully understand what you said -, but I thought that was how it worked - i.e. being "unlocked" to use on a different carrier than originally purchased for. I was under the impression that changing numbers was the easiest part of it, regardless of your carrier, but it makes sense that with service like Boost or something else pre-paid it would be problematic. I've considered switching carriers before and when shopping around online, the first thing they ask is if you have a current number you'd like to use so it seems keeping your number is simple!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                        Ohh...that makes sense. "Unlocked" is what I was thinking of in terms of being able to use a phone previously used on AT&T and switch it to Verizon...it sounds like it all just depends. That may still be wrong - I might not fully understand what you said -, but I thought that was how it worked - i.e. being "unlocked" to use on a different carrier than originally purchased for. I was under the impression that changing numbers was the easiest part of it, regardless of your carrier, but it makes sense that with service like Boost or something else pre-paid it would be problematic. I've considered switching carriers before and when shopping around online, the first thing they ask is if you have a current number you'd like to use so it seems keeping your number is simple!
                        Yes, a phone has to be unlocked to use it on a different carrier, but even then depending on the exact hardware you have, it may not work on any random carrier.

I was also reminded earlier that "jailbreak" in the world of apple means "I can upload apps that aren't in the iTunes App Store". You don't have to jailbreak to do that on android, so the only reason to jailbreak an android is to change the OS. You can jailbreak an iPhone just to upload non-blessed apps, though.
                        Sandy
                        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I finally upgraded my phone! It's been 6 years. When we were at the store k1 walked up to the prepaid phone display and said "this phone looks like mommy's. This phone looks like daddy's. " Everyone laughed at us.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                          X