Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Permanent E-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent E-mail

I want to change my e-mail address, right now I have the year of my birth in my handle and as I get older I've decided thats not very practical. I've also realized I need to get something more standard/professional if I'm going to try to get back into something as the kids go back to school.

So my question is what e-mail service do you use? I'm currently on google and can just get a new handle but have to then transfer my blog, picasa, etc. I've thought about using my icloud account but afraid Apple will just change the accounts in a few years like that did with me and will have to start over or transfer anyway.

Am I missing an option? Thoughts?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I'd either stick with gmail or get an email address with your own domain.
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Gmail. I've had it for 10 years already and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere...
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
        I want to change my e-mail address, right now I have the year of my birth in my handle and as I get older I've decided thats not very practical. I've also realized I need to get something more standard/professional if I'm going to try to get back into something as the kids go back to school.

So my question is what e-mail service do you use? I'm currently on google and can just get a new handle but have to then transfer my blog, picasa, etc. I've thought about using my icloud account but afraid Apple will just change the accounts in a few years like that did with me and will have to start over or transfer anyway.

Am I missing an option? Thoughts?
        I have been using my Apple @mac.com account for-ever...ok - really about 10 years. Even though they keep changing, the @mac still continues to work.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
          I'd either stick with gmail or get an email address with your own domain.
          This. Getting your own domain and setting up mail on it is not free, but it's not super-expensive, either. It can be done for under $100/year with some creative filtering and forwarding. Let me know if you want help/advice. We've had our own domain for years, and one my tasks before this time next year (since we just paid the annual bill) is to transfer everything to a different registrar and the email to google apps, so we have more direct control of it and so it's cheaper. This kind of thing is part of what I do for work, I just haven't gotten off my butt to set it up right for our own domain.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I have several hotmail and gmail accounts. Personally, I like hotmail better for e-mail but I like the google calender. Most people like gmail. The address I use for professional matters (like bar association stuff) is firstname.lastname@gmail.com
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Is your contact number (cell number) the same as the area where you live now? I had to start over a few years ago and the locals were always very thrown off by my cell's area code. I started a new email with my name that ended with the local area code. Seemed to help.

BTW Good Luck with your new projects! KUP!
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I think you're probably right, sticking with gmail is probably the best route to go. I'm able to register lastnamefirstname with no period - that is as close as I can get.

And yes, we changed our cells when we moved here so they are local.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Faithful Gmail user here. I can't imagine using anything else. Google calendar, drive, etc. sync wonderfully with my iPhone, Mac, etc. I just think it's an all around great mail service and have no plans to change ever.
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I've been using gmail forever and love it.
                    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                      I'm able to register lastnamefirstname with no period - that is as close as I can get.
                      I recently discovered that the period actually doesn't matter in gmail addresses. If you own lastfirst then you also will receive mail from last.first, and vice versa.
                      Alison

Comment

I've been using hotmail since high school. I went from firstlast@hotmail.com using my maiden name to my married name back in 2000. I almost switched to gmail a few years ago when hotmail went all crazy with their storage and trying to get users to pay, but they didn't have a name combination I liked, so I just waited hotmail out. They've improved a lot over the years. I get very little spam, and they've gone to an Outlook-type format.
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I use gmail for personal stuff and my own domain for work stuff, but I use google apps so I can receive and reply to multiple email addresses from one account.

Comment

I use .mac and have for over 10 years, with no issues. BUT, I have a very tough time finding anything close to my name (my address is loosely based on my maiden name) as my married name is the same as a woman who is in line to run for IL governor. She has every last domain, email, etc in my name taken for herself.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Mine is first initial middle initial last name 2 digit birth year at yahoo. I've had it for 15 years and have no intention of changing it. Believe me, it isn't inappropriate by any stretch. I've seen so much worse.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X