Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

El Paso, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Paso, TX

Anyone live in El Paso, and have advice about the best places to live? I am told the closer you live the to mountains (west)... the more snakes! Ahh! It's my DH's #1 choice for EM. -CL

I've only been there once- when my husband deployed from Ft. Bliss. I do have a friend who grew up there and his family is still there. I'll ask and see what I can find out.

J.

Comment

Oh why is it his first choice???

There are better sites--- madigan, or just anywhere.

I have a strong reaction to Ft Bliss. I just couldn't do it. I told my dh that if he was sent there I really couldn't go along. I don't know why I'm so opposed. It's irrational.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I have good friend who just moved to El Paso, her husband is a commander in the Army so she didn't have much of a choice. I'll ask her opinion, but I know she's not a huge fan of El Paso. At all. What are your thoughts on possibly moving to EP - regardless of whether or not it's your DH's first choice program?
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I've only driven through. It wouldn't be at the top of my list either, though mostly due to the distance from...anywhere else.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My aunt was from there. Of the 13 kids (her and siblings), no one lives there in adulthood
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

One of my friends moved there post-college and hated it. She moved again within a year.
              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I actually don't mind it! I kind of liked it. But, we're coming from a place I truly hate, so really, it's only UP from here!! Lubbock is the most desolate, terrible place I've ever been to... and 3.5 years so far has been really hard... the mountains and culture of El Paso are a welcome change, despite how brown... I'd love to move some place with water and green trees, but if it's his first choice, I will be happy there. He really likes the program. He's not in the military, it'd be UMC.

Comment

I'm going to add very gently...my DH is an EP. We've been on every side of the interview process. Your DH really, really, really needs to go into interview season with an open mind. EM is very competitive, and it's difficult to get an idea for programs before interviews. DH matched at his #1 on his ROL, which he only applied to because I made him. His #1 choice before interviews ended up #8 on our ROL. Try not to get too embedded in where to live this early on.
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                    I'm going to add very gently...my DH is an EP. We've been on every side of the interview process. Your DH really, really, really needs to go into interview season with an open mind. EM is very competitive, and it's difficult to get an idea for programs before interviews. DH matched at his #1 on his ROL, which he only applied to because I made him. His #1 choice before interviews ended up #8 on our ROL. Try not to get too embedded in where to live this early on.
                    Seconded. Wait until he's interviewed and started ranking before you worry about details about particular cities. Really. It's really not worth it at this point. I mean, you said anywhere would be up from where you are now, right?
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Def don't get your heart set on ANY location. The residency match gods will smack that shit down with the quickness.

Comment

Working...
                      X