Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving

Random question.. how many times have you moved throughout the course of medical training? I'm assuming that we'll be moving for him to go to med school and again for residency. Are there more?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

My DH moved for medical school, residency, and we will be moving for fellowship and then probably moving again after that year for his first big boy (attending) job. Hopefully that will be the final move, but you never know.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I expect we'll move again if he does a fellowship, then again for his actual job.

You could also factor in away rotations, which isn't a move, but involves living somewhere else for an extended period. My husband did two month-long rotations in different cities at the beginning of MS4.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

We moved for med school, residency, and post-training job. No fellowship here. Most physicians take a second job within about 3 years after the first, but we're still going strong at 4.5 years and not looking yet.
        Alison

Comment

We have also moved for every step, med school, residency, fellowship and first job.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We moved for medical school and I'm assuming we'll move again when my husband gets into his residency. I'm actually looking forward to a change.

Comment

Med school, residency and fellowship were in the same place, and then post-training job.

Comment

We sort of moved for med school (started right after college, but it was "going home" for me), hope not to for residency, expect to for the inevitable fellowship but certainly wouldn't be opposed to staying. Would love to stay right where we are for the job, but I expect we will have to do a stint elsewhere for at least a few years, though it is so far out right now I couldn't really tell.

Now wasn't that helpful?
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Every step for us too - undergrad, masters, med school, residency, soon fellowship, job.

Some people move more than that - some schools don't have clinical a locally, so that would be at least 2x for med school. Also, some specialties can match intern year separate from the rest of residency, so that would be 2x during residency, too.

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Also, some specialties can match intern year separate from the rest of residency, so that would be 2x during residency, too.
                    yeah, forgot about that. I'm in denial. Though we have 3 intern year options in DFW, so I'm hopeful that would be one less move. Very few categorical programs in rads. (20% I think)
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by KlynK View Post
                      Random question.. how many times have you moved throughout the course of medical training? I'm assuming that we'll be moving for him to go to med school and again for residency. Are there more?
                      We've moved 6 times during the first 6 years of our marriage. But I think our circumstances are unusual:

1 - married in FL during medical school, DrK moves into my condo but most of his stuff and wedding gifts go into storage unpacked.

2 - 100 days later, moved to OH for internship. Continued to commute to FL for job.

3 - 12 mo later and about 15 weeks pregnant, put all our stuff into storage moved into a furnished rental in OH because we were 3mo off-cycle and our Stupid Evil Landlords would not extend the lease for 3 months.

4 - 3 mo later and about 27 weeks pregnant, moved from OH to KS for residency. Threw up in every rest stop along the way.

5 - 2 years later, with a toddler and a newborn, moved to a smaller home in the same city because I've lost my job. Can't pay the rent and don't need a home office any more. Time to downsize.

6 - 2 years later, with a 3yo, 2yo, and about 20 weeks pregnant, finished residency. Move for The Job.

7 - Hopefully, we'll buy a house next year and have another move within the same city.
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Holy crap MrsK!

I've only moved twice (big moves) bc of my DH, but I have lived in seven different houses/apartments over the last 11ish years.

Comment

Moved for med school ('93), moved for residency ('97), moved for military payback, ('01), moved for real job ('05), and moved (about 5 miles) when we built a house ('09). We have been married for 23 years and have moved at least every four years...we are at 4.5 years in the same place right now and it is weird!
                          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

None. Well, we went from an apartment to a house just a few months before med school started. Stayed in the same place for MD/PhD, residency, fellowship, and are still in the same damn house now that he's an attending. 3 miles from my mom, 15 miles from his parents.
                            Veronica
                            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                              We've moved 6 times during the first 6 years of our marriage. But I think our circumstances are unusual:

1 - married in FL during medical school, DrK moves into my condo but most of his stuff and wedding gifts go into storage unpacked.

2 - 100 days later, moved to OH for internship. Continued to commute to FL for job.

3 - 12 mo later and about 15 weeks pregnant, put all our stuff into storage moved into a furnished rental in OH because we were 3mo off-cycle and our Stupid Evil Landlords would not extend the lease for 3 months.

4 - 3 mo later and about 27 weeks pregnant, moved from OH to KS for residency. Threw up in every rest stop along the way.

5 - 2 years later, with a toddler and a newborn, moved to a smaller home in the same city because I've lost my job. Can't pay the rent and don't need a home office any more. Time to downsize.

6 - 2 years later, with a 3yo, 2yo, and about 20 weeks pregnant, finished residency. Move for The Job.

7 - Hopefully, we'll buy a house next year and have another move within the same city.
                              That sounds like the path we're headed down, without the kids though! We're on year 3 of marriage and home #5 (city #3). And seeing all these replies, looks like we have many more coming up.

I assumed as much with all the moves but didn't know that away rotations can be thrown in there :/ Is that common? I don't know how that would work for us since I need to be holding down a job and it barely pays enough to keep one household running, much less two.
                              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X