Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Medical alert bracelet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical alert bracelet

Where can I find a stylish medical alert bracelet? I don't want one of those chunky things.
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

From the paramedics I've talked to - the less it looks like a recognizable alert bracelet, the less likely it'll be noticed. Obviously feel free to ignore.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
      Where can I find a stylish medical alert bracelet? I don't want one of those chunky things.
      They make the standard ones in gold that are identifiable but nicer looking. I remember my mom had the jeweler make one for my dad when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

This is a big discussion in EM right now. People have tried apps for alerts, and a bunch of other ideas. Emergency responders won't notice a stylish one, BUT it also doesn't really matter. DH won't say they're useless, but he can't think of a single time in 20 years of EMS plus EM practice that a medical alert bracelet has made a difference. He treats the patient in front of him, including a full assessment. That said, if it makes you feel better, wear one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Aren't they intended for first responders though? And people around you? Not so much the ER docs----

Ds has a few but they are all sports-type. Honestly I have not seen a med alert bracelet that is anything I would like to wear.

My ds wears it because he has two conditions that could result in the same situation (unconsciousness) and the med alert might possibly help a first responder with the decision to give glucagon or the epi. Not all epi rxn a involve swelling which makes it more obvious to EMTs as far as what to do. But my concern is not communicating with the EMT so much as the teachers and lunch people at school who could see him fall over and think "why is this kid screwing around" as a first thought. If you carry your epi with you at all times, you really should be ok.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Peggy, for a kid, I might feel differently, but DH was a paramedic for ten years before medical school, and now directs thousands of them. While it sounds useful, it's just not what they use. For a teacher it might help (and hopefully your school knows of both conditions as well), but EMTs and medics are looking beyond loss of consciousness, which is fortunate because I'm assuming your son wears bracelets with both alerts, which could just add confusion. They need to look at symptoms to determine what reaction he's having, and a quick needle stick is an immediate course of action for an unconscious person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            -Deb

Comment

Yes I agree---- I have him wear it bc I would rather a teacher treat for both scenarios if there is any confusion. And I don't see that the EMTs would "need" that info either. It would be helpful I would think to know he's diabetic, but an allergic rxn is usually something you can see on the outside so I find it less necessary in that scenario. This is one of my fears--- more from when he was in elementary- because I've heard of kids on the playground after lunch trying a peanut candy or something, collapsing, and the recess aides not even noticing. Of course, my solution to that was not to trust the bracelet but to talk to the recess aides and to change the school policy where they kept an epi only in the nurse station. I basically said, " either they carry an epi in their bag out to recess or he carries one with him." Anyway, now he carries and epi and a glucagon. The signs of hypoglycemia are generally gradual, so I trust he can check his sugar before passing out, and he's not a brittle diabetic so I don't worry too much.

Brandi--- sorry for the hijack!!!---

In your case, I would not worry about the bracelet but I would carry a medical info card in your wallet with your ID, and always have an epi. They are expensive and the expire every year, but it's definitely worth it (says the mom with 10 expired epis all around the house!!). If you go to a place with a high likelihood of a wasp sting, you might mention that to your friends or something too. Hang in there. Anaphylaxis is scary so I encourage you to be prepared, and then shove the what ifs to the back of your mind and live on.
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I'm going to hijack a little further (sorry Brandi - it's easier than starting a new thread), but
                Did you see that federal legislation was finally passed requiring schools to have epi and train all staff in its use? Awesome for our nation's kids.
                http://www.foodallergy.org/Latest-News
                -Deb

Comment

FYI - Auvi-Q has a deal for $0 copay through 12-31. It's the Epi that is WAY easier to carry and talks you (or a friend) through the injection.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                  X