Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

After residency hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After residency hours

Ok, I'm reading the specialty information threads and most people are saying 60 hour weeks for ortho docs???????? This is hubby's schedule:

He has 8 call days a month which generally means one day during the week and then one weekend. However, if we take vacation or go on a mission trip then it will obviously get condensed so 8 call days in 2 weeks or 3 weeks depending on what time he takes off.

He gets up at 4:30 am and leaves no later than 6,sometime 5 and gets home at 7 on a good day. Many days it may not be until 9. When he is on call, it is busy. So he will probably be gone all night at least one night every week. He came home at midnight to sleep and left at6am may not see him until Monday (has the day off after a all weekend) Weekends and evenings are spent doing paperwork , checking coding, dictating or calling in surgeries or other thing.

I want to know where these 60 hour weeks are. he weekends he has call he works 100 hours or more. I would guess 70 or 80 hour weeks for a regular week. We don't have him do cliic post call, but he is often operating. He doesn't overschedule his surgeries but he will get bumped for emergencies and so his day will last later than scheduled.

At nearly 50 he just hates call...... Where are these 60 hour weeks????? My hubby takes more time off than any of his partners, but his own piece of mind is worth more than any extra money.

Excuse typos my keyboard isn't working right

Where and who said 60 hour ortho workweeks? Couldn't have been me, could it? Maybe a few years ago that might have been true. DH wasn't fully busy. I'm pretty much the only ortho attending here that I know of. 80-100 hours a week is closer to reality. Plus, he's perpetually behind on charts and dictations.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Not ortho but...100 hour weeks here in one location and 60-70 hours in the other location.
      ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

After residency hours

Not Ortho but not that low here either. 80 is a good week, call weeks are easily 100.

ETA: 70 was reasonable when his group was fully staffed and we expect it to go back to that by August, hopefully.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DH's uncle is a 70 year old ortho, just wrapping up his practice this year. Even in the "good old days" of medicine, he worked far more than 60 hours a week. He also pulled in a million dollars a year, so that's definitely changed, but his hours didn't fall below 60 hours until he stopped operating a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Not ortho either (OB/Gyn), but 70-80 hours a week is typical, although there have certainly been weeks when he has worked more.
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Ok, glad to know I'm not nuts. It was on the thread with information about different specialities. 3 different ortho posts said that after residency you could expect 60 hour weeks!!!!!

Comment

Minimum of 70 to 80 hours per week here!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Looking back on those posts, one person was from Canada, and one for sure was still in residency at the time. I know that the private practice here has 4 day work weeks, so 60 hours seems about right for that type of set-up. Like Vanquisher said in her OP, it can vary wildly depending on lots of stuff

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                  X