Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Good News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News!

It's official: We're Engaged! Woohoo!

He definitely caught me by surprise. We went out to dinner last night--I met him in the city after work--and when we got home, he had things all set up already at the apartment. He had arranged a bunch of flowers fanned out on the bed--tulips (my favorite flower) and roses (his)--with the ring propped up in the middle. Just as I'm thinking "Oh my God! It's happening today???" I look over and he's down on one knee and everything. He then said some things, but I have no idea what, because it was drowned out by the emotional fireworks going off in my head. It had something to do with how we can build a great life together and would I be his wife? I said, Of course!

Sweet, simple, and sincere.

So then I called my parents, and then my brother and SIL so I could tell them and ask my SIL to be my matron of honor. And he called his family, and asked his brother to be his best man. Everyone was very happy for us. By then it was 11:00, so everyone else will be finding out this weekend.

I really didn't think he'd be able to surprise me, since we got the ring back in November, so I knew it was coming sometime before spring, but he still managed to catch me off guard.

I love the thought of him carefully arranging those flowers by himself in the apartment with a sense of anticipation before leaving to meet me. He excells at the everyday kindnesses (seriously), but grand romatic gestures don't come naturally to him, so planning this out was a big deal for him. Aww. He's a good guy. I'm a lucky girl.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What a sweet proposal! My husband doesn't do the "big gestures" that easily, either, but he is a wonderful everyday guy. I am happy for you both! So when is the wedding?

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Julie,

That is so wonderful!!! Congratulations!
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Emotionally we're ready to get married NOW. I know I've certainly been feeling that way, and without saying so, I asked him recently, "If we could just get married instantly whenever we wanted, how long to you think it would take you to feel emotionally ready to get married?" (Since guys are stereotypically slower at these things and I didn't want him to feel pushed at all but I wanted to know what his feelings are) and he thinks about it and finally says "I don't know . . . maybe a week?" Well ok!

Back to reality. All real-world considerations (family, wedding planning, financial aid, his school schedule) point in the same direction: sometime between April and Octoberish of 2005. A year and a half--I may die from waiting. He has to get his 3rd- and 4th-year schedule before we can set a date, and of course they haven't released that yet. (What was everyone saying yesterday about how ALL life decisions are subject to the needs of the medical career? Yeah, so true.)

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS Julie!!!

What a touching proposal, he sounds very thoughtful. I'm such a girly-girl sometimes, but what does your ring look like? Did you pick it out together?

This is wonderful news.
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS! This is fantastic news and I couldn't be happier for you! BTW, I'm a huge fan of short engagements and small weddings, for whatever it is worth. Go for it! May you have a life time of love, health, and happiness!

WOOHOOOO!

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Julie, that is AWESOME! Just think we were sitting there chatting away last night and you had no idea! That is great - its so great that he caught you by surprise! If you need any med school planning help feel free to ask me - we got married the summer after my husband's 3rd year and planned long distance, we live in Cali and got married in Kansas.

Congrats again - how VERY cool!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Julie, CONGRATULATIONS!!
                Woohoo! How exciting! And what a sweet proposal. He does sound like a great guy.
                I'm curious too -- what does your ring look like? I remember you posting before about different stone considerations, etc....
                Yeah!

Comment

Julie-

Congrats! It's so exciting, isn't it? (Even knowing what you know about the pitfalls of this life!)

Do keep us posted and remember to do what Michele did- post pictures of every last detail as they emerge.

As for the wedding itself, I second Kelly's opinion- we were engaged for 5 months and had a 33 guest wedding at my parents house. It was awesome. Best wedding I've ever been to, really!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine

As for the wedding itself, I second Kelly's opinion- we were engaged for 5 months and had a 33 guest wedding at my parents house. It was awesome. Best wedding I've ever been to, really!
                    Oh yeah, I forgot to second that too. We succeeded at the shorter engagement but not the number of guests....smaller wedding and faster timeline can be very nice if it works for you!

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                      I'm such a girly-girl sometimes, but what does your ring look like? Did you pick it out together?
                      We all have to embrace our inner girly-girl sometimes, even me.

I did most of the picking out of the ring. I would trust my fiance to choose many things on my behalf: computer equipment, camping equipment, vacation plans, and more, but aesthetics are not his strong point, and since I'll be looking at this ring every day for the rest of my life, we agreed I should pick it out.

I posted a big diatribe about diamonds on here a few months ago--I'm sure I would cringe if I went back to read it now --but the bottom line was that I had no intention of buying a DeBeers diamond. After doing some research I learned that 1) non-diamond engagement rings are far more common than I originally thought, and 2) sapphires are particularly traditional, and in fact Princess Diana's engagement ring was a sapphire. So I start looking at a zillion sapphire rings online to see what I like, and in the meantime, I had shared this whole dilemma with my mom.

Well, it works its way through the family grapevine, and the next thing I know, my aunt is enthusiastically offering up my late grandmother's diamond. I am totally on board with this idea! I was close with my grandmother before she died when I was 14, she and my grandfather were married for 42 years, and there's this whole line of amazing women on my mom's side that I aspire to be worthy of being part of--as women, as wives, they have my well-earned respect. This seems like a good symbol to start off our marriage with. My fiance also likes this idea, because then I contribute the stone and he contributes the setting, and "we've both brought something to it, like our relationship." Smart boy!

Knowing that my grandfather was a young, depression-era farmer when he bought this ring, I should have realized that it would be tiny, but I was still a little surprised. We got it re-set by a jeweler in Little Italy and what we ended up with looks exactly like this except without the side stones--it's just smooth metal there. My stone is the same size as this one, too:

http://gilletts.com.au/pages/display.html?sku=f8862

I love it, but everyone loves their ring in the end, don't they!

Comment

P. S.: Oh, and I think I still see a sapphire eternity band anniversary ring in my future I really fell in love with sapphires while I was exploring that option.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Best of luck to you. I also like short engagements & small weddings. We had about 15 people at our ceremony, then a party at our house.
                          Luanne
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
                            Do keep us posted and remember to do what Michele did- post pictures of every last detail as they emerge.

I know! I had ulterior motives in asking Michele to talk about her wedding--always looking for ideas!

We both agree that smallish weddings are more fun, and we're thinking about 75 guests. We want to have a sort of traditional wedding, though, (meaning not eloping and not destination wedding) because with his family in Boston and mine in Chicago and our life together in New York, this may be the one and only chance for everyone to actually meet.

My parents have specifically asked us not to elope. And my boyfriend agrees that we owe them that.

Comment

Julie, I love that setting - that is awesome. I love unique rings.

I have to put in my two cents for the big wedding - we had 200 people and I loved my wedding, I wouldn't have it any other way. I also have to mention that I come from a big family (my dad is one of 9), but we were able to invite all of our friends and family and had a great day!
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X