Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Finding a job after moving for residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a job after moving for residency

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please bear with me.

After my fiancee matched last March, we decided that he would move to our new city/state in June and I will stay behind for a few months to finish projects at work. I left my job in the middle of October and moved to be with my fiancee. I've been unemployed for almost 3 months now and starting to feel frustrated. How long did it take you to find a job in your new city/state?

Welcome to the group! Sorry, I have no useful info for you because I didn't go back to work after our first multi-state relocation, but I wanted to welcome you.

FWIW, I think a lot of the timeframe for a job will depend on location, industry, education, and experience.

Comment

Yep as DiggityDot says, there is no way to give you a time frame. Things are especially hard with congress not extending unemployment benefits because so many more people are taking any job so they have some kind of income.

Welcome to the group - stick around, we get it around here.
      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Smiles86 View Post
        Hi All,

This is my first post, so please bear with me.

After my fiancee matched last March, we decided that he would move to our new city/state in June and I will stay behind for a few months to finish projects at work. I left my job in the middle of October and moved to be with my fiancee. I've been unemployed for almost 3 months now and starting to feel frustrated. How long did it take you to find a job in your new city/state?
        Welcome! post in the introductions area so we can get to know you!

To answer your question, I was telecommuting when we moved for med school, so didn't have to look for a job, but I was laid off about 2.5 years later. It took me about 5-6 months to find a job, and that was about 4 years ago now. Your industry/location may be different, and I'm sure the job market has changed. I know it's discouraging, but if you keep at it, you WILL find something. A friend of mine was laid off and due to her industry and location, it took her over 2 years to find work, but she did, just recently, finally.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome! I think it's harder in this new city because I don't know many people here. I've tried networking via Linkedin and attending meetup events. I went on 2 interviews so far but neither lead to an offer.

Comment

Finding a job after moving for residency

Have you considered temping? Some companies only hire their permanent personnel through those they've "test driven" through temp agencies. It's REALLY common with larger corporations. That's actually how I came by one of my jobs in a very large, multi-national company.

Comment

I am sorry; I cannot help. I took a different strategy. I refused to move until I had a job!

Good luck. I know several people who went the temp route.

Comment

Hi There, and welcome! So you're not going to like my answer....The first year sucked. After 3 months of actively looking for work I was so tired of sitting on the couch I took a waitressing job. In January I got hired teaching ONE afternoon a week (I'm a musician) and a few months later I quit the waitressing job and took another teaching job way below my pay grade. In the summer I took a job cleaning violins for NINE dollars an hour. It was miserable, but at least I was in my field. Then right at the beginning of this academic year the stars aligned and now I have the perfect life. So in all, it took 15 months.

The rejection sucks. I knew it would be hard but had no idea it would be THAT hard. So be patient with yourself but keep looking. You'll find something.

I actually met my first friend in our new town through a couchsurfing.com meetup. Turned out she'd just moved to the area too and was starting school so for the first 6 months all of the friends I made were through her.

Goodluck!

Comment

I have a friend who was in a very similar situation. In her case, it took her 4 to 6 months to find a job she was okay with (but didn't love). She kept her eyes open after she got that job and ultimately landed in her dream position 2.5 years later. (She's an attorney.) Now she's in a tough spot because she doesn't want to leave the job when her DH goes to fellowship, so she'll be staying here for that year and he'll (hopefully) return when he's finished with training.

Thee are so many factors at play, including location, industry, etc. But, you're definitely not alone in this. There are lots of other med spouses going through the same thing.

Comment

I also refused to move until I found a job in our new city. Good luck!
                    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Welcome! Depending on your industry, staffing companies/recruiters could help a lot. I worked in IT, and they had access to job positions that weren't advertised. I started both of those jobs as a temporary employee, and one turned into permanent (well, until they had layoffs... ) I also had to start way under what I'd been getting paid.

Good luck to you, and I really hope you're able to find something soon. Looking forward to getting to know you!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Hmmm, I'm still doing temp work two years later, but that's mostly my own doing (in that I haven't applied for a "real" job in a really long time since I like having the flexibility of taking off time for DH's vacation dates). It's frustrating and discouraging, but keep at it. And network as much as you can (do as I say, not as I do)!

Comment

I had an interview the day after Match and was offered the job on the spot. And...after 6 years of teaching, I made less than my first year :/ Beggars can't be choosers! Welcome and good luck! Have you looked into substitute teaching in your state? It's usually pretty painless to get the sub cert, and you make about $100 for showing movies or the like (usually). I also had a harder time finding a job in the big city we lived in for med school - I ended up *this* close to getting my masters

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
                          Jen
                          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I quit to stay home with the kids and haven't worked since. So I haven't had a job since he has been practicing.

Comment

Thank you for all the helpful tips! I really appreciate it.

It's been stressful to go from having a fantastic job to being unemployed.

Comment

Working...
                              X