Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

a possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a possibility

...I thought that I would run this by everyone here. I have been contemplating writing a book. I am not a journalist, a published writer, or even a "highly trained" person at anything. Lately I had been thinking that I wanted to write a book from my point of view about life from the past 5 years(when a marriage occurred that forever changed my life in many more ways than I would imagine!) to right now.

I realize that lots of people write books, most probably don't ever get published, but you never know till you try....what do you think?

Matt, I think you should go for it - I have often thought about writing a book about being a spouse through med school, I can only start to imagine what residency adds to that. Good Luck!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Hey Matt...I've been working on a med spouse book for about 4 months now..it's definately gone through different phases and the only thing that I can say is GO FOR IT..even if you don't end up publishing it it is very therapeutic!

I'd be happy to share some publishing ideas with you too. I have looked into a couple of online ones and IUniverse is pretty neat. We could encourage each other!!!

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I agree you should go for it (both of you)--don't worry about the publishing aspect of it yet, just get it out there on the page with all the insights and emotional honesty and revelations . . . whatever you've got. At the bare minimum the writing of it will be a growing experience, I'd also bet money on the idea that your kids and grandkids would treasure it, and, who knows, it could be the next bestseller.

I'd read both of them.
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Do it Matt! I think you would have a very unique perspective on not only the spouse of a physician, but as a stay at home father to two small children!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Matt-

You do have a story to tell so why not tell it? I think you're a fasincating person already!

Go for it!

Jenn

Comment

I agree with everything said here. Go for it!!
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Well, speaking of books...something we talked about long ago was putting together a kind of collection of stories from spouses....back then we only got two match stories collected though

What would you guys think if we all worked on some different medical spouse survival stories...ie The Match, Internship Year, Becoming a Parent, etc...we can put them into a book and publish them with iuniverse...we can then decide as a group what to do with the proceeds....we can put them towards the iMSN for some kind of a get-together eventually and maybe towards a charity (like the education fund Ron set up in memory of his son)?

This would be totally separate of what I'm doing and also what Matt is doing...it's just a thought...but it could be fun/interesting to work on as a group???

kris

Comment

Kris --

What an exciting idea! I know I would be interesting in reading a book like the one you are describing; in addition to the other two separate works (Matt's and yours). Very cool ... Keep me posted.

Lorri

Comment

As another secret novel writer on this board, I'm in for a story.

Angie

P.S. I was also wondering if you guys have ever considered a "manual" of sorts to being a medical spouse. I'm sure there are many topics or questions that have been covered over and over here; each one would lend itself well to a chapter. Area reviews and information in the FAQ files would round it out nicely. DH and I were talking about it the other day --it is the kind of handbook you could market to medical school bookstores and programs. He seems to think the residency directors might even purchase them to hand out as part of a family support program. What do you think?

Angie
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I was also wondering if you guys have ever considered a "manual" of sorts to being a medical spouse.

That's what I've been working on. I have done 3 chapters so far....but they were very...ummm...how can I say this? BAD. I don't know..I just didn't like them once I let them sit for awhile...Kelly has read two of the chapters from this summer. (Don't be embarassed, Kelly..I know they stunk). I was trying though! I've gone back and started again (using what I had from the summer) and am trying to personalize it more and figure out what I'm actually trying to say . When I get farther and feel more comfortable, perhaps some of you would be willing to read a little of it????

Matt...if you are serious about writing, lets MOTIVATE each other...It is so easy for me to get off track.

We should talk more about the group project....Lets seriously get something going!

kris

kris

Comment

That sounds like a good idea Kris! I've often thought, if I knew then what I know now... in regards to how I've handled this whole process.
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Matt & Kris,

GO FOR IT! We all have an amazing story within us that needs to be told. I think this would be the ultimate.

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                          X