Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Interview trail stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview trail stories

Anyone have any good ones?

DH and I drove to Rochester and I dropped him off at his interview. I was driving in town with Andrew and Amanda as toddlers in the backseat and the bank right across from where I was got robbed! It was all kinds of madness. Right then and there, I told dh "no way!"

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

In a small town that I didn't even want DH to consider, I got taken to breakfast by some super stepford-y wives that grilled me about what church we would be attending when we moved there. They also gave me tours of "the only neighborhoods worth living in." Yikes! I literally burst out crying on the drive home when DH raved about the program. Needless to say, it didn't get ranked highly...

Comment

LOL. That's funny. It reminds me of a post-fellowship interview at a place that on paper, we really thought was going to be "the job". The ID doc kept kicking his wife under the table all night long at dinner anytime she said anything to me. It was so bizarre! She couldn't carry on a conversation with me because he was hovering and ... ummm ... redirecting her with his foot. It was a "no" for us based on that.

Kris

Comment

When DH renewed his critical care certification we went to Atlantic City. The testing center was in a creepy part of town and I couldn't go inside. I sat outside on the steps and had coffee and lunch for him when he took a break. I had a book, and I walked up and down the street a few times. There was a bench outside so I basically set up camp for the day. After a couple of hours I looked directly across the street and was staring at a strip of stores, including a sandwich shop, a deli, an adult book store, a massage parlor, and a XXXX adult movie store. I finally figured out why so many passersby gave me strange looks or avoided eye contact!!!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

DH and I had barely been dating a few months when the interview season began. The begining of our relationship pretty much consisted of me dropping him off and picking him up from the airport. On one such occasion he had a 6:30am flight so I spend the night at his place in order to take him at the butt ass crack of dawn. Unfortunately I woke to him looking at the clock, saying some obscenities and "damn it, my plane just took off" Thank goodness he was on southwest and was able to jump on the next flight out.

On the fellowship interviews DH rented cars to get to and from the airport in most cities. At one such interview it turns out another of the interviewees was going to be on his exact flight home so he could interview in our location. J gave him a ride to the airport. After the match the guy ran into one of J's co residents at a convention. Turns out, he is the one who matched to be J's co fellow. Small interview world.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

We got halfway to the airport one morning at the absolute crack of dawn when hubby realized his suit was at home (thanks to me realizing he hadn't packed a garment back, so I asked him where he put his suit). Fortunately it was the closer of the two airports, we had left early anyway, and traffic wasn't too bad yet since it was so early.

I only went to a couple of interviews with him, but at one of them they asked where I was, and they thought it was so strange that I was driving around town, including neighborhoods, to get a feel for it. Why else would I go with him??
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

DH was on a flight with his noise-canceling headphones on. The flight landed, he took off his headphones and stood to deplane. The flight attendant asked him to wait a moment so they could get the person with a medical issue off first. Apparently, they had asked for a doctor, but he didn't hear because of his headphones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

This didn't happen to us, but when dh was a chief resident, I went along to an applicant dinner. One of the wives kept fussing with the sleeve of her husband's suit. She saw that I'd caught her and said "we had to buy a suit at TJ Maxx this afternoon, because we FORGOT to pack it!" They'd done "alterations" on their own with safety pins to keep the sleeves at the right length. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. They must have been so stressed out!
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Somebody stole my guy's suit bag out of his car while he was at a gas station. Luckily, his suit wasn't in it, but his ties were.
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Mine had the worst med school interview ever. Does that count? The worst of it was part of the day when he was panel interviewed by 1) foreign doctor he absolutely could not understand (and DH is very good at understanding the most broken of English) 2) extremely elderly doctor with very very limited hearing (huh, huh, what did you say?), 3) 2nd year med student that sat there saying nothing with his arms crossed acting as though he was in detention.

DH couldn't understand the one dr, the second dr couldn't understand anything anyone was saying, and he got suck egg stares from the MS2. Obviously he didn't get accepted. We can laugh about it now.
                    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

ML, that made me chuckle aloud Mine got a haircut right before one and the lady was blase until she asked him why he was dressed up. Suddenly it was you should see a picture of my daughter, she's pretty!

Comment

Once a interviewer cried during one of DH's residency interviews. Can you even imagine??

The other residency interviewer had DH sit in a very low chair that bounced low to the ground. DH is a big and tall man. He chuckled and told her that he felt like he was on David Letterman, she was dumbfounded by his little joke and insisted he explain in detail.
                        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Haha, awkward!

Comment

These are so funny!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
                              Once a interviewer cried during one of DH's residency interviews. Can you even imagine??
                              That happened to my DH, too! While he was interviewing for med school the interviewer took an important call about a relative who was having some medical issue, and she started crying. The rest of the interview was spent with her talking about the family member and DH trying to be empathetic. DH must have handled it well because he got in, and he received a "diversity scholarship" that he hadn't even applied for. (The diversity scholarship was especially funny since my DH is a white male.)

Comment

Working...
                              X