Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

QOTW: March 21 - Hair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QOTW: March 21 - Hair!

1. What color is your natural hair? Do you dye it? What color? Highlights? Any gray? Will you go gray or cover it?

2. How long is your hair?

3. Curly, straight, wavy?

4. How often do you go to a salon? Do you go to a frou-frou place or something inexpensive? When you go, do you do any treatments?

5. What shampoo, conditioner, or other products do you use?

6. How often do you wash your hair?
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

1. What color is your natural hair? Do you dye it? What color? Highlights? Any gray? Will you go gray or cover it?

Brownish. Yes - light blonde. No gray that I know of. I will probably go gray eventually.

Just past my clavicle

Wavy, but I flat iron it frequently

4. How often do you go to a salon? Do you go to a frou-frou place or something inexpensive? When you go, do you do any treatments?

Recently every 6-8 weeks. Frou-frou Aveda salon. No treatments, but an occasional eyebrow wax

Bed head moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, Aveda pre-styling gel and hairspray

Once a week, but since I started doing cardio every morning, I probably will need to do it every 5 days or so...

Heidi and I must be channeling each other because I just got my hair done today
    Last edited by GreyhoundsRUs; 03-21-2014, 06:46 PM.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Black as my heart

Growing out --- just to earlobe!

Wavy curly mess.

When it's short once a month. Now that I'm growing it out only when I get totally sick of looking like my grandma

Bang Style Shampoo, Matrix super moisture conditioner. An assortment of pomades. Depends on the day.

I've been trying for every other day but I'm a little neurotic about it feeling dirty. Which means it's dry as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
        Natural color is blond, and yes I color it. It sun bleaches REALLY easily, so it looks like I'm sporting some serious roots. It's annoying as hell.

I'll probably stop coloring it if it goes gray because then there won't be an issue with roots.

Collar bone in the front and chin-length in the back (a-line bob).

All of the above unless I blow it dry and straighten it.

I go probably every 6-8 weeks, depending on how long and unruly my hair has become. I don't care whether it's a super nice salon or a junky hole-in-the-wall so long as there is a great stylist. I don't get any treatments other than a color and cut, usually.

I like Joico, Redken, Matrix, KMS, and No. 4.

I've tried doing the every-other-day thing and it just doesn't work well for my hair texture. I have a LOT of very fine hair. It gets weighed down really easily and dry shampoos just make a mess. It's gross.
        Last edited by diggitydot; 03-23-2014, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Dark brown, a few grays. I've dyed it before, mostly just to get some richer, darker color and I will probably do it again. Am not bothered by gray though. Highlights never. I'm a dark brown girl.

Boob length.

Messy waves, but I usually wear it straight. I go wavy in the summer more, but right now my cut makes it go triangular if I let it wave, so that's out. Gotta get some layers back before the weather warms.

10-12 weeks or so, with bang trims in between. Not cheap but not really frou frou, more of hipster joint with a little boutique in front. Treatments no. Think I need a new salon though, because this stylist doesn't seem to understand how deadly serious I am when I say I want my bangs thick and blunt.

Trying out the Shea Moisture line from Target, and I'm loving it. Their raw shea stuff smells like honeysuckle. Aveda Phomollient if I'm going wavy, plus a little argan oil in the ends. Nothing if I'm straightening, otherwise it gets too limp.

Every other day, usually.
          Last edited by MsSassyBaskets; 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM.
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Medium brown, yes, medium brown, no highlights, yes some gray and I color it.
            Just above shoulders
            Straight
            I go to a walk in place whenever I think I need it!
            Nothing special.
            6. How often do you wash your hair?Every day
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I was born light blond but as I got older it turned light brown. Also know as dirty blond or mousy brown. I have dyed it in the past every color under the sun including shaving it bald well before Brittney Spears time. I was Brittney Spear before her time. In my 30's I've started to get grey hairs around my temples. Dh usually plucks them out if he sees them but I might start coloring them as I start getting more. I read that blond is the only color to truly cover them which is my natural color from birth soooo...it works.

The longest it's ever been. To the middle of the small of my back.

Straight as a board.

Well in my teens I did it myself. When I had a career in my twenties and early thirties I'd have it professionally done only. Nobody does it better than a salon. I've done the expensive places but have found value in the less expensive places too. I used to be a Joico hair model. That was lots of fun!

The best shampoo is Arvada Shampoo by far but it's expensive. Otherwise go to Sally's. Store bought products at the grocery strips the hair with alcohol and damages it.

Everyday. I wish I could do that hippy natural poo stuff but my roots are too oily and my ends too dry. I'm just not the right body type for it.
              Last edited by Cinderella; 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM.
              PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Naturally dark blonde. I highlight it with occasional lowlights to make sure it doesn't get too blonde. No gray yet - I want to say I'll just keep highlighting and blend in the gray, but we'll see when it actually happens.

About shoulder length.

Board straight.

I try to get in every 8 weeks, but it went for a while after I had E. It's not super froufrour, but not a cheap place. Just cut and color when I go.

Pantene Color Preserve Volume for shampoo, conditioner, mousse, and hairspray.

Every night. It gets really greasy otherwise.
                Last edited by alotofyarn; 03-21-2014, 08:28 PM.
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

1. My hair is blonde with a little bit of red and light brown. It is colored and highlighted. Yes, I have gray...I blame DS #1's senior year! I will cover it for the foreseeable future.

2. My hair is just above my shoulders, with bangs.

3. Mostly straight with random big (not attractive or uniform) waves. I have a curved flat iron that I use to keep it under control. My hair is extremely thick and kind of coarse.

4. I get my hair cut every 5 weeks, fairly religiously. Color every other time. It is not cheap, but not a frou-frou salon. My guy rents a suite in a place called Salon Suites....it is just him, so no other treatments.

5. I use Joico shampoo, conditioner, and root-lifting foam, and Oi oil on the ends.

6. I wash my hair every day.
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Jen, it looks great!

1. What color is your natural hair? Do you dye it? What color? Highlights? Any gray? Will you go gray or cover it? Black but it's changed to dark brown with some red

2. How long is your hair? Mid-back

3. Curly, straight, wavy? Wavy and curlier with age. Thank goodness they're nice curls now without frizz unless it's humid.

4. How often do you go to a salon? Do you go to a frou-frou place or something inexpensive? When you go, do you do any treatments? I go to the neighborhood barbershop about once every 6 months and a bang trim every 2 months or until I start feeling like a sheepdog

5. What shampoo, conditioner, or other products do you use? Aussie Cleanse and Mend and Organix Agran Oil conditioner. Infusium 23 when it's wet and one in a blue moon, Kerastase hair treatment because that shit's expensive

6. How often do you wash your hair? Every other day

Comment

Dark Brown. I used to get highlights to blend in the grey and to make my hair look fuller but I let myself go after I became a SAHM. I don't have much grey so I'm satisfied. I may try highlights again if I find someone I really trust to do it.

I let it grow during my last pregnancy. When I stretch out the longest curls, it's past the center of my back. Otherwise, it's about 2 or 3 inches past my shoulders.

Mostly curly with some wavy strands here and there.

I try to get it cut about every 8 weeks but I can go 3 or 4 months before my hair starts looking really ragged. I'm loyal to my stylist and prefer the frou frou salon. I don't do any treatments.

I recently switched to divacurl conditioner and I love it. I use it every day but I only shampoo if my hair is really gross, like after a hospital stay or when my kid gets his mac and cheesy hands into it. I style with conditoner and gel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Brown - no dye. When it greys, I'll probably dye it. Though I'm thinking of adding a purple stripe.

An inch or two past my shoulders.

Curly

Last salon trip was 2 years ago. I've trimmed twice since then - just a few curls that needed it.

Jessicurl - shampoo (cleansing cream), conditioner (too shea), potion (rockin' ringlets) and gel (spiralicious). Every other week deep condition.

I wash and do the whole routine daily. If I shower twice a day, I usually just condition for one of the showers.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Brown. I don't dye it. I have some gray strands, but I'm not sure yet if I'll start dying them or just let it go naturally.

A little past my shoulders

Straight, but it can get frizzy if I don't blow dry and straighten it

My mom is a barber, so I just have her cut it once or twice a year.

Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner

I should wash it once a day, but usually it's every other day. It's greasy by the second day.

ETA - My Hairstylist:
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

LadyM, I have the same brush! Goody, right? And cute picture

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                              LadyM, I have the same brush! Goody, right? And cute picture
                              Thanks! Yes, I love my Goody brushes!
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                              X