Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you irrational about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you irrational about?

DH and I are arguing about my van .... 2003 VW Eurovan that I love to pieces. It's now been classified as a classic car and I plan on keeping it indefinitely even though it has 205,000 miles on it. I know it sounds crazy, but I really love this van. I have traveled with the kids in it, have ripped out the floors and replaced the carpeting with vinyl hardwood ... It's my baby.

I have dreams of having the engine/transmission replaced and getting a cool 70's paint job done on it. I've even found the mechanic and artist to do the work.

The problem?

Money.

LOL. No surprise.

DH basically says that he doesn't want to invest the money into a new engine/tranny and would rather buy a new (to us) van when my baby dies. I'd rather invest that same money in the van. He thinks I'm being irrational. I point to his car that he "had" to have and ask him if that was rational ... you know how the conversation ends.

So ... help me feel better. What are you irrational about? And. Should I get to keep my van? (only yes votes will be tallied!!!)

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I dunno, he gets antique books and you get the van. Seems equitable to me.
    Kris

Comment

That's Kris 1 Thomas 0

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
        I dunno, he gets antique books and you get the van. Seems equitable to me.
        Eh..to play devil's advocate, he could argue that the antique books hold their value, and the van doesn't.

It will cost less to overhaul the existing van than to replace it with a newer more reliable one, though, wouldn't it? And it'll make you happier, which is priceless. So there. :P
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

We just sank a lot of $$$$$ into my father's Cadillac XLR. We plan on keeping it forever. I say go for it if you want to, but to also cross that bridge when it comes. We don't have to always be 100% fiscally responsible right?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've' been using Andrew's car during the week because he didn't take it to campus with him. I'm hoping that helps me extend the life of my van. Right now it's in good shape with the exception of needing a new muffler.

It would cost less money to fix the van than to buy a new one (but not much). Thomas argues that there is the uncertainty of other materials in the vehicle that might age out after we invest a shit ton into the van. I can see where he's coming from. At the same time, I've always dreamed of having a 70's bus ... and that's not going to happen ... but I do have my own 'classic' that is no longer made and I could have it painted up the way I want. My big plan is to have it updated and painted and then spend my late 40's and 50's going to VW shows with it for fun.

Comment

What about keeping the van for fun, just when needed, AND a new van? I'm no help.

I'm kind of team Thomas on this one, but we all have our irrational shit we spend money on. If yours is the van, so be it!
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

That is exactly where we're at with it Heidi. Only bad news? He says if I keep the van, I have to get rid of Le Pop Up. I'm trying to negotiate getting that stored at a storage facility. Ahh, so much irrational ... so little time!!!

Comment

Hmmm, I'm not clear on what part is irrational? It may not be practical but it is certainly rational. You are creating a hobby (going to car shows/events) from a vehicle that holds great sentiment to you. The cost to rebuild is irrelevant if you can afford it. Are you willing to part with the pop up? That seems like something that may have served its purpose now that you have the cabin.

Truly I think it sounds like great fun for you. We don't always have to live this straight practical life. It is okay to do things that bring you joy simply for that reason.

Tell Thomas the van stays and gets rebuilt (Tara says so ).
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I vote keep the van! It makes you happy and you have a hobby. This one is for you. Plus I think it's super cool to redo a classic the way you want to and take it to car shows. I love going to all kinds of car shows and seeing people's pride talking about their vehicles and the work they did on it. I hope you share pictures when it's done.
                    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Can you get a new van and keep the current one, but save up the money to rebuild it later
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                        Can you get a new van and keep the current one, but save up the money to rebuild it later
                        I like this idea. Though we keep our '97 CRV even though it's repairs get quite pricy. It will be M's first car. She's already named it! It's the only car we bought and paid off when I was the breadwinner. That makes it the only car I've bought and will ever buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

DH and I are irrationally tied to his jeep grand Cherokee. He's keeping it "for later". First thing he'd ever bought with no help from anyone and then he went back to school and I finished paying it off. Don't tell DH but I say KEEP THE VAN
                          sigpic
                          buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

I'm with Tara, keep the van and get rid of the camper. I have my 1965 Mustang in my garage with a cover on it, so I'm a little biased.
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

How often will you use the camper now that you have the cabin?
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X