Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Essential Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Oils

What is this young living crap and why has it become so popular? (and why do people keep trying to sell it to me?)
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

OMG. I hear you. Here it is doTERRA and I keep hearing about how it cures everything. WTf. Even homemade booboo spray for scrapes and bruises....
    sigpic
    buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

It is INSANE. A friend of mine was encouraged to buy some of that crap in an effort to treat her young son's seasonal allergies. Complete BS, didn't work at all.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'm so sick of the anti-science movement!!
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
          Yup, me too. And I'm pretty damn crunchy. No f'ing way can you use essential oils to "cure" anything. Can they help? Maybe. But you also need to know your shit because many are extremely toxic.
          Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
            Yup, me too. And I'm pretty damn crunchy. No f'ing way can you use essential oils to "cure" anything. Can they help? Maybe. But you also need to know your shit because many are extremely toxic.
            ^this. I will say that essential oils in the bathtub are pretty dang delightful!

Comment

I sort of thought essential oils were good for natural cleaning products and body care... and even then only in the sense that certain ones smell good, moisturize well, remove goo (orange oil!), fight acne (tea tree DOES work for that in my experience), etc. They're not freaking medicine, people. FWIW I've never heard of these companies or had anyone try to sell me essential oils...
              Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                +1,000,000
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                  I sort of thought essential oils were good for natural cleaning products and body care... and even then only in the sense that certain ones smell good, moisturize well, remove goo (orange oil!), fight acne (tea tree DOES work for that in my experience), etc. They're not freaking medicine, people. FWIW I've never heard of these companies or had anyone try to sell me essential oils...
                  Many EOs have medicinal qualities and they definitely are not just pretty scents. Some, like wintergreen, are fatal at even tiny doses.
                  Kris

Comment

I use DoTerra oils. Most of the time I use lavender tea tree or lemon to make cleaning homemade cleaning solutions. Use other ones for minor things like insect bites and headaches. I have a couple smelly ones that I would take a bath in. However they would never take the place of medicine or science. I also don't like selling things so I would never try to promote it to anyone.
                    Needs

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...ents-or-cures/

Alleluia

I mean, they smell nice and I can see some minor benefits, but when they go this far, they need the smackdown
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My Facebook friend who's pretty young and not terribly educated, posted about this on her status. She and her oil-selling friends are going around and around about how the FDA just got greedy and that's why they got involved. "Fda is mad that there not getting their cut so there gonna go after them cause no one has a medical licences" "There making bank on these oils an the fda isn't getting a cut so there gonna find a reason to funnel that cash their way."

Here's the actual FDA warning letter. Some of the claims being made are so egregious, it's scary they made it this long. It makes me think of snake oil salesmen.
                        Alison

Comment

Essential Oils

I found a comment on the Washington post article pissed that the FDA is upset about this, but not about the experimental zmapp treatment for Ebola that "has a 40% death rate"

So much fail.
                          Last edited by SoonerTexan; 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I guess this is one of the few good things about living in one of the least progressive areas in the country -- I have no clue what you guys are talking about . To my knowledge this is not a "thing" here. There's very little crunchy/hippy about this place.
                            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
                            X