Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

World Health Org: Polio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
    That all being said, I have a feeling that it won't take many US polio deaths to get people back on the bandwagon.
    I think that's the problem. People who choose not to vaccinate don't really see it that way. They think they're educated, and they truly believe that it is worth the risk of getting the diseases to avoid whatever they've decided the vaccine does to their kids. It's completely illogical, and not even reality seems to sway them.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
      I think that's the problem. People who choose not to vaccinate don't really see it that way. They think they're educated, and they truly believe that it is worth the risk of getting the diseases to avoid whatever they've decided the vaccine does to their kids. It's completely illogical, and not even reality seems to sway them.
      Well said. I think that's the price you pay (or these poor kids pay) for living in a country where these diseases are eradicated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Oh I completely agree. From my SIL: "it's just SO hard to know because this stuff is so complicated." NO, IT"S NOT - YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR SO IT IS HARD FOR YOU. IT IS NOT HARD FOR DOCTORS.

It's like me being like, "huh, it's really, really hard to represent myself in an extremely complicated legal case but I'm going to do it anyway!!"
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Exactly true. Heck, dh sees it in OB all the time, women think they have educated themselves and refuse to listen to the physician. Women actually nearly let their babies die right there in the hospital because they are so convinced they know more than the physician. I'm not even sure seeing some children die from polio would turn around the anti-vax people, I think it would have to be at epidemic proportions unfortunately. I'm not sure what the best approach is tbh.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
          X