Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I wanna go to Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna go to Hawai'i

I'm applying for an externship for 3 weeks in Hawai'i! It's at Kaneohe, Oahu. The cheapest flight I can find is $675!!! Is that for real? It's cheaper to fly to Europe! Has anyone been to Hawai'i? Anyone want to talk about it?
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Well, I'm jealous.
    I love the Kaneohe/windward side of the island. My uncle used to live in Kailua -- just a touch south of there. It is less touristy than other parts of the island, so don't expect the Waikiki experience there. It's probably a good 25-30 minute drive to the Honolulu area.
    But there are some nice state beaches in the area and you still get that tropical feeling.(Wait a minute, you're probably used to that from Miami! And you're still in FL! I want that tropical feel right now.) The windward side of the island tends to be a little rainier and cooler but should still have plenty of sunshine to make the trip nice. And you'll be closer to the north shore -- definitely worth going to see that. Worth it to drive around the whole island, IMO.
    Yup, probably cheaper to go to Europe. $675 sounds reasonable. That's usually close to the price from Denver and the reason why we usually go to Mexico for a warm vacation. Even with my uncle working for the airlines, I usually paid around $500-$600 for a ticket --- and that was quite a while ago! At least he'd bump me to 1st class.
    Let us know if you get the externship.

Comment

I loooove Hawaii. Now I feel wistful.

We've only been once, two years ago, and it was for a med school interview, so we spent more time in Honolulu than we otherwise would have chosen to do, but we did get the chance to drive up the eastern coast of the island (that's the non-windward side, right?) and back down through the center. So gorgeous. I definitely hope we get to go back someday. Three weeks working there would be incredible.

We have friends who have traveled to most of the continents, and they still rate Hawaii as one of their favorite places they've ever been.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
        We've only been once, two years ago, and it was for a med school interview, so we spent more time in Honolulu than we otherwise would have chosen to do, but we did get the chance to drive up the eastern coast of the island (that's the non-windward side, right?) and back down through the center.
        The east side of the island is the windward side. Or at least I think it is.
        I am also getting nostalgic for a trip to Hawaii. It really is a beautiful place to visit. *sigh*

Comment

You are such a lucky duck!!! I lived in Hawaii as a child, and Matt and I have vacationed there twice. Hawaii is by far our favorite place to vacation. We prefer the Big Island to Oahu, as it is less touristy. But we do have our "must-dos" for Oahu.

As far as airfare, when we went in August 2000 airfare was $800 a person roundtrip from Denver. We did Priceline.com and managed to get tickets for $400 a person. The only catch is you have to be very flexible as to when you can fly.

Our second time (Oct/Nov 2002) out there we paid $500 a person from Seattle. We didn't do Priceline.com as Matt didn't have the flexibility, and we needed to fly out and in on certain days. Hotwire.com is a good place to look for cheap fares, rental car, etc. We have used them, and have been pleased everytime.

There are so many things that we love to do there- We hiked Diamond Head crater, went to Shark's Cove on the North end of Oahu (great snorkeling spot that very few people know about- we got to see sea turtles and beautiful fish). Chinaman's Hat is other great spot. There is so much!

Matt's parents are going to take the children for a week while we go on a romantic get-away. We have thought about taking an Alaskan cruise or going to Alaska, but now I am thinking I want to go back to Hawaii.

Crystal
          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
          X