Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Your Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Name

Yesterday, my 2yo asked me why my first name is my name. I told him that my name is [MrsK] because that's what my mom named me. Just like his name is [K2] because that's what I named him. Then this got me thinking that perhaps I should have told him about the grandfather and great-grandfather for whom I was named, and about the grandmothers for whom he was named. And how it's such an interesting question knowing how much I agonized over naming my children and I know that other parents do also. I've wondered about the origin of my friends' names but never asked them. So, I'm asking. Why is your name your name?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

I'm named after the book.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'm named after my grandmother. My dad picked my middle name. Funny story: my married first and last name is actually the same as my grandmothers first and middle name. So while I was originally her namesake, my married name makes me doubly so even through the dementia when I visit her and tell her my full name she says "oh! That's MY name too!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

My mother let my Godmother pick my name, because I was her 5th child (4th daughter) and she couldn't come up with a name!!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

My aunt named me at my baptism because they said I needed a Catholic name. So boring

Comment

I was named for a childhood friend of my mom's. Unfortunately they chose my full name (same as hers) so that they could use a nickname (also same as hers). By third grade I decided that the nickname was juvenile and I hated it, so I switched to using my full name, which was never my parents intention.
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Your Name

My mom had a weird first name and hated it (she ultimately changed it at 40)...so she chose a super common (for the time) name for me. As in, the top name for the year...

Clearly a lot of thought was put into it...::rolls eyes::

Comment

My mom wanted my name, my father wanted another. So, she got her choice as first name and he picked the spelling and my middle name was his choice.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I'm the feminine form of my dad's name although my mom says she like my name before she met him. I'm actually not very fond of my name. It feels like a shoe that doesn't fit to me.
                  -Ladybug

Comment

I'm named after grandmother. My dad's mother. She died of cancer long before I was a thought...
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Mine was a toss-up between what they chose and Elizabeth. They ended up nixing Elizabeth due to not caring for potential nicknames. There is no meaning behind my name other than they liked it. Boring.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

My mom and I have the same name. My father chose it. Yes, my mom is still alive. I am just a jr.
                        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Your Name

My mom was 16 soooo I was named after a soap star and an Olympic volleyball player ... Our baby E will be named after a motocross rider who had a sweet name lol I'm no better than my mom and I don't have the "I'm 16 and pregnant" excuse
                          sigpic
                          buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

The Beatles song.
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My parents saw it in a book and liked it. My twin sister was supposed to be Kristin, but I guess she didn't look like a Kristin when she was born, so they named her Lauren.
                              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
                              X