Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Residency Racket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is only one moonlighting opportunity at DHs training institution for his specialty and it's a small hospital over an hour away and they only let you do it during your research years, we decided it wasn't worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

There was one opportunity in DrK's program too. The departing residents basically willed it to a successor that they deemed sufficiently needy and capable. The one who had it before DrK was married with three kids and a SAH wife. DrK had two kids and I was at home. When DrK left, he recommended a resident who had just had a baby. When DrK took the job, thw program director warned him that he couldn't be chief if he was moonlighting. It was kind of a no brainer to take the paid moonlighting experience instead of working more residency hours for no extra pay. It was a nice job. DrK hated to give it up.

Once we get the ball rolling here, he might moonlight at a nursing home or something like that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        How is this possible? I'm incredulous.
        I could show you my budget from 2009. Net pay was $3082. We paid an exorbitant amount for pet food, lived in an unnecessarily nice 4-bedroom house, had a huge grocery budget, belonged to a gym, and even went out to eat weekly. It was a pretty luxurious lifestyle. But thanks to DH bike commuting, having paid-off cars, and no loans (and a tiny bit of outpatient care from family, things like our cell bill and gifts to the babies) it was very doable for our family of 3 -- 4 at the end. Plus starting in year 2 we had a second income from DH moonlighting at area urgent care clinics; we used that for savings since we were spending the vast majority of the regular paycheck.

Not saying it would have worked out for anyone else's family, but coming from supporting the two of us on about $30k per year (university department secretary), it felt kind of luxurious. Adding in that I know a number of families in my current location, where COL is about 20% higher than the national average, raising families of 4 or more on $1700-3000 per month, it doesn't seem so terribly far fetched for a childless couple to be okay on a single salary.

That said, the "new lawyer" comparison is eye-openingly valid and I definitely see where compensation ought to be re-evaluated in light of the value a resident offers a hospital. It's a complicated subject to be sure.
        Last edited by spotty_dog; 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM.
        Alison

Comment

Moonlighting would be a big help - not allowed here. Do any surgery programs allow moonlighting?
          DH moonlighted his entire 5 year uro residency and 2 year peds fellowship.
          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Yeah, moonlighting used to be allowed for surgery here too but they got rid of it in the last 5 years.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Moonlighting was prohibited for us as well. It was allowed in fellowship but malpractice and tail coverage was iffy at best so dh decided it wasn't worth the risk.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yeah, moonlighting used to be allowed for surgery here too but they got rid of it in the last 5 years.
                Come to think of it, the cardio fellows at your institution are allowed to moonlight - wondering now if the IM residents are allowed to. We were there in 2011- mid-2012 so I wonder if anything has changed in the IM/cardio arena re: moonlighting.
                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Moonlighting was not allowed for DH, but like someone else said, I don't know when he would have done any if it had been....he was at work all the time as it was!
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                    Come to think of it, the cardio fellows at your institution are allowed to moonlight - wondering now if the IM residents are allowed to. We were there in 2011- mid-2012 so I wonder if anything has changed in the IM/cardio arena re: moonlighting.
                    Cards are allowed to moonlight here!!
                    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

DH says medicine people can and people with research years. But no active surgery residents.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X