Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

McDonalds downsizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonalds downsizing

Hey...so what does everyone think about McDonalds taking the supersize menu away? I think it's great! Now they just need to get rid of the big kid's meals.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I think it's great that there's been something of a cultural shift that's demanding it. It seems like the idea that America has wandered down the wrong nutritional path is hitting the mainstream.

We'll see if it lasts, though. Remember the low-fat menu options at Taco Bell? Remember the McLean Deluxe? People just don't want that stuff, and it went away. It seems like so far McD's is motivated by fear of litigation rather than consumer demand, but maybe consumers will catch up with the idea.

It would be interesting to see what the biggest sellers at Subway are--I wonder if it's the healthy stuff or the unhealthy stuff. I confess we have Subway for dinner a LOT, I'd say at least twice a week.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I agree....I just think though that supersizing as a phenomenon has been done less in response to demand and more to create demand. Does that make sense? I ate happy meals all through highschool and even during college....I never begged to have something super-sized...but then there was that "for .25 cents more you can have the large, ok?" and I found myself saying ok...after all, I felt like I was getting more bang for my buck. (My fault though!!)

And what about restaurant portions....good grief..it's like 3 meals in one...and yet now, I can eat my whole meal and want dessert....sort of a slow, insidious up-sizing of our appetites. I'm not taking away my own personal responsibility..don't get me wrong....but there was a day when I was satisfied by a plate-sized serving of a cobb salad...now I'm used to the cobb salad from tgif that is offered in the jumbo table-sized plate only. Now I've gotten into the habit of simply asking for a to-go-box when I order the meal to prevent myself from over-eating.

kris

Comment

I think it's a great idea--nobody needs that quantity of fries or soda! The only time I've ever ordered one is when I'm being a cheepskate and sharing the fries between the girls and I. I also don't really like when "sit down" restaurants give huge portions. I know that's what draws people in, but I really only want enough food for one meal. I don't really like leftovers and I hate paying for a meal that is mostly going to be thrown out.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

as long as they don't make the salad any smaller! i just eat salads at mcdonalds now... dh used to get supersized plus eat kate's happy meal fries (she does not like fries-- she'd rather eat half my salad!) but thanks to the army, mac has been downsized himself!

i can say that i never really understood what impact supersizing at mcdonalds could have on overall obesity trends until i heard a stat that obese kids in general eat fast food 2-3 times/week... we'll see if this makes a difference, but i'm skeptical.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Something I've noticed that is along the same lines is the recent elimination of "small" sizes from the Burger King menu. Anyone else notice this? Rather than have small, medium, and large french fries they serve medium, large, and "supersize" (or some other term I can't remember right now) french fries. I remember the first time I encountered this getting into an inane discussion with the cashier about how the smallest serving size was a "small".

Anyway, I'm sure there is some psychological reason for BK doing this....

Jennifer
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I've noticed that too Jennifer! One thing I hate is when I go to some fast food restuarant and order a medium and find out their medium is huge, like the size of a large! What happened to normal sizes?
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

It's the same thing when you go and buy coffee too...did you guys notice that? You can't just buy a small, medium or large...its' a grande or whatever..

kris

Comment

That's true--I always get so flustered when I'm standing in a busy line trying to order coffee since they have made it so confusing!
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Kris - I still get Happy Meals.
                    On a road trip when I was pregnant, I thought I'd "graduate" to adult size. I ordered a medium - since they have no small - and it was frickin huge!! Honestly, who needs to eat that many fries?? (never mind that I ate them all anyway...)

It's about time they downsized. Remember when a small really was a small? It was served in a little white paper bag.

Comment

Working...
                    X