Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

QOTW - chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not even think of wal-Mart because that place could implode in giant sinkholes all over and I would not take note. I can't even make myself go there for the prices. As bobk said, the mental anguish is not worth it.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

1. What chain restaurant that you don't have in your city would you bring in if you could? There are a lot of options in and around my area, so we pretty much have everything. But for selfish reasons, I would like a Chipotle right down the street from me as opposed to 20 min away.

2. Is there another chain store (not a restaurant) you would bring to your city if you could? Container Store. And a Charming Charlie's!

3. Best chain restaurant? Chipotle. Most chain restaurants are alright. But not the best I've ever had. Trying to do better at seeking out local "chains" and one-location restaurants since we moved back 2 yrs ago.

4. Best chain store (grocery, department, etc.)? Whole Foods. TJs. Customer service is great, and the products are too. Having worked in CS, I'm all about it. If you are rude to me or ignore me, then I will find another place to give my business to.

5. Worst chain restaurant? Applebee's, Golden Corral, and Chili's. I used to love Chili's (DH and I went there on our first date) but the menu has moved very far away SW food and just had bad service there on Saturday night.

6. Worst chain store? Wal-Mart. Like bobk, I could go on about them forever. I wrote a senior seminar paper on the anti-Wally movement. I've seen the impact of bringing one into a small town. I loathe their treatment of women. So I don't shop there unless it's an emergency.
      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

QOTW - chains

1. What chain restaurant that you don't have in your city would you bring in if you could?

I don't know. I kinda avoid chain restaurants.

2. Is there another chain store (not a restaurant) you would bring to your city if you could?

Container store, crate and barrel, sur la table

3. Best chain restaurant?

See #1

4. Best chain store (grocery, department, etc.)?

TJ's

5. Worst chain restaurant?

See #1

6. Worst chain store?

Walmart
        Last edited by ides; 08-11-2014, 03:09 PM.
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Mmmm. Now I want Pei Weis. Or PF Changs.

Damn.

Comment

So much Walmart hating ha
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
              I haven't answered the other questions, but I did want to give my personal take on this FWIW

I like Walmart for many reasons - good prices, good selection, clean, bright. However, since moving here, I've stopped going to Walmart for the same reason that I don't go to places like Goodwill or the Dollar Tree here. I have had too many uncomfortable/dangerous experiences: parents yelling at their children - bordering on verbal abuse, kids who aren't being parented and won't leave ME or my kids alone, and frat boys doing dumb crap. Ah, life in a rural college town!
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                Sorry! But we love you!
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm gonna say it:

I like Walmart. Hate on me all you want. I don't care. Is it the best customer service or frou-frou shopping experience? No. That's not why I shop there. I shop there because I can get a week's worth of groceries, new windshield wipers for my car, socks for my son, toilet paper, and all for less money in less time.

Frankly, I have a Publix that's way closer to my house, and I do shop there regularly. In training, I could not afford it. It bothers me, though, to spend $4 on something I know is $2.50 at Walmart. It feels wasteful and arrogant and pretentious. I'm cheap.

As far as their less than ideal treatment of employees or overseas habits? I just don't give a fuck. Most everyone else does it too. Walmart is the biggest though, so they receive the most press on it.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                    1. What chain restaurant that you don't have in your city would you bring in if you could?

2. Is there another chain store (not a restaurant) you would bring to your city if you could?

3. Best chain restaurant?

4. Best chain store (grocery, department, etc.)?

5. Worst chain restaurant?

6. Worst chain store?
                    1. Cafe Rio.

2. Academy Sports

3. Maggianos, Carrabas, Firehouse Subs

4. Trader Joes

5. Macaroni Grill - hands down. Food is awful and way over-salted.

6. Can't think of one.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                    X