Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The winding down of Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winding down of Summer

It's August 12th. Holy crap. How the hell did that happen? Is anyone else experiencing end-of-the summer Angst?

I've posted this in the grand rounds and not the parenting forums because it isn't just a kids with parents thing.

We are leaving today for the cabin for 8 days (yay!) and when we get back, summer will be over. We'll have the back-to-school meetings at the middle school and the high school, we'll be buying books for Andrew and Amanda for college .... and holy hell, school starts again for me too.

I'm not ready.

I'm not ready for the early mornings; the homework for all; the increased frequency of lessons, sports; driving to the Cities for classes. Mostly, I'm not ready for winter again and the start of school is this major signal for Fall to start ... and not far behind Fall is Winter. We've had a mild summer and so I'm terrified of what this Winter will bring.

I love summer and I'm not ready not ready to let it go.

How about you?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

This summer flew by faster than any other summer ever - of course it could be because I had a baby and have since been in the house with him going through the cycle of eat, poop, sleep.

I'm sad for summer to go in that baby is already one month old, but will be glad for fall/winter weather. It's sooooooo hot here I can't stand to be outside for longer than 20 seconds. And no, that's not really an exaggeration.

Comment

Open house at the new pre-k this afternoon. I'm more anxious about it than K1 is. Also, it's 59 degrees here this morning. 59!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Open house at the new pre-k this afternoon. I'm more anxious about it than K1 is. Also, it's 59 degrees here this morning. 59!

What I wouldn't give for 59 degrees...

Comment

I was just thinking about this this morning, too. School starts in 3 weeks from today and I'm not ready either. Not looking forward to the early-morning rush, all of the running around getting kids to/from activities/lessons, packing lunches ... ugh. Summer seems to go by faster every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by lovelight View Post
            What I wouldn't give for 59 degrees...
            Its beautiful but no swim lessons today. Feels like the end of summer.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Is anyone else experiencing end-of-the summer Angst?
              Nope. Summer sucks for me. I'm in the "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Summer" camp

See my ticker.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We're already back into morning routines. I have to be at camp (work) by 8:00. The first two mornings have been rough, but improvement is happening. Everyone slept as long as they wanted this summer. I do enjoy having some structured, quiet time at work while my kids are in camp. When I'm at home with them I can hardly get our bills paid on time due to the stream of interruptions and fights. The kids are sick of me too. It's been a stressful summer with the move. I need the kids in school for a couple of hours to get the house unpacked too. Anytime I spent unpacking is equally spent cleaning up messes that kids have left somewhere else in the house.

I think we have two more days off after labor day and then it begins. Still not sure what I'll be doing next year. I'm OK with not working next year and getting the house settled if nothing pans out. The following year my two youngest will finally start full-time, public school and I can start bringing home a real paycheck! I have a walk-in closet that I need to fill now. LOL.
                -Ladybug

Comment

It's way too hot. I have all these things I need to do outside but can't due to the freaking heat. O is doing a half day get ready for school thing this week then week after next he starts Kindergarten. It seems to being coming so fast. We've been going to the pool and it closes in two weeks. It just seems too hot for summer to be over. Dh is deep in exam studying woes. His exam is on the 8th of Sept then its Os 6th birthday, then we go to Boston.
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

High school started last week, kindergarten started today, homeschool starts Monday and I'm already behind. Seriously, wth? How can I be behind already?! And ds18 needs to start the college app stuff in earnest.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm probably in the minority but I'm ready for fall. Not winter but for sure fall. I love everything to do with fall: the holidays, the decor, the weather, the leaves....bring on fall.
                      wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Originally posted by DrBandMe View Post
                        I'm probably in the minority but I'm ready for fall. Not winter but for sure fall. I love everything to do with fall: the holidays, the decor, the weather, the leaves....bring on fall.
                        Me too! It's been cool lately so I'm feeling like it's time. I love fall, Halloween, changing leaves and cool weather. DrBandMe, you are in for a treat with your first real midwestern winter!! You will quickly learn that Pittsburgh winters were NOTHING. I recommend Sorels if you don't have them already.
                        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I'm looking forward to fall too. DH had his board exam last week so no more studying for him. All the tourists will be heading home so we'll be able to explore our new area without long lines everywhere. We've had a mild summer but I've had enough of it. I love fall clothes shopping!
                          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Preach it
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I am so. not. ready. I'm actively searching for jobs in the mid-Atlantic is how un-ready I am. Summer here is so fleeting. I love all four seasons, but I need MOAR WARM.

School starts for me in 2 weeks, and the kids go the following week. Still lots of stuff to get together. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X