Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gel nails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gel nails

Question for anyone out there who gets them done.

The shop that I went to yesterday was a little different from the nice spa where we had our nails done during the conference.

To get the gel nails off, she actually used the sander over the top of my nails. Then she soaked them in nail polish remover and used a scraper to scrape most of the gel nails offs. To get the remaining stuff off though, she used the sander again and sanded over my entire nails. I hate that. Is that normal for getting gel nails off/preparing the nails for new gel nails? I don't really want my nails sanded down.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

That's how I've always had them removed/prepped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I've never seen the sander used, but when I get shellac removed, they do use a scraper after the nails are soaked in remover.
      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I think that they sand your nails so that the gel sticks when they redo them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

No. You should be able to peel them off or just soak them in acetone. I've never had them sand my nails. It is unnecessary.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

The sanding shouldn't be necessary. I've had them file some of the gel off and then soak to speed up the process, and scrape just to get the loosened gel off, but they shouldn't have to file so much on your nails, just buff. I don't even like them to buff my nails.
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

It depends on the exact product. I think what you've got is actually a shellac product (OPI calls it "gelColor", though, which is confusing). To me, this is what I've seen and how it breaks down:

1) acrylic: two tubs of product (a gel/liquid and a powder) mixed together and applied to the nail - usually clear or maybe light pink tint - usually filed down and the next coat applied on top. Cures from the mixing, polish applied on top, usually lasts several weeks.
              2) gel: same as acrylic, except it's usually one tub of a gel-like material and it cures under UV light. (This is what I get).
              3) shellac: usually in a polish bottle, lots of colors to choose from (but not as many as plain polish), usually at least a couple weeks, cures under UV, gets soaked completely off before applying again.

I've only ever seen shellac soaked off; where I usually get mine done, they put little cotton pads soaked in acetone on each nail and wrap it with little pieces of foil, and wait - the various brands take different amounts of time, but my understanding is that if you wait long enough, they will just come right off. No filing necessary (except to shape the nail, of course).
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

A responsible nail place shouldn't let you get two shellac/gel manis in a row, so they really shouldn't sand.

Comment

You shouldn't get 2 gel manis in a row?
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                    You shouldn't get 2 gel manis in a row?
                    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/be...ing-nails.html

If you find a place that does it right, it shouldn't cause any serious problems.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

The lady I go to still doesn't suggest it...and she's good! She actually provides a discount for people to get a regular mani after she removes a gel mani just to encourage people not to keep gel on for too long. Since she's taking a hit to her profits, I'm taking her advice.

It probably really depends on how your nails handle it though! I like switching things up too much to go from gel to gel, but that's just me!

Comment

I only do gel nails occasionally but peel those suckers off. I use a gelish home kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                          No. You should be able to peel them off or just soak them in acetone. I've never had them sand my nails. It is unnecessary.
                          This. Each time they sand, it can destroy your nailbed. I ask them not to and get the foil wraps on each finger.
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I hate how they remove the shellac. It destroys my nails. That's why I've switched to Jamberry. Lasts about as long, but I can just soak in water, break the seal on the edge of the nail between the coating and the nail, and it peels right off.

Comment

I was referring to gel nails, not shellac. Shellac should just be soaked off with acetone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X