Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hair Product Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Product Recs

I got a killer haircut yesterday - finally! I've had three awful ones since we moved here and finally found an amazing salon. It's been 9 months since I had a haircut so even DH (Mr. "Your bras/jeans cost HOW much?") thought the exorbitant price was worth it.

Since I've got a job interview on Thursday and also because I rarely splurge on hair care products specifically (always looking for the best stuff I can get at Target prices) I've decided to treat myself to some nice shampoo, conditioner, and volumizing mousse. Definitely couldn't have splurged on the stuff in this up scale salon that she used yesterday, but she did say you can get awesome stuff at ulta. She recommended the Alterna line, so I'm trying to stick to that price range.

Have you used any of their products or can you recommend a similar line that's in the same price range and can be found a Ulta?
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Get the Caviar line from Alterna. I have a review here somewhere. Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner followed by the CC cream. If you use hairspray I also love the one from this line. Worth every penny.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Thanks Pollyanna! That was what I was looking at, the reviews on the website and on Amazon are glowing it seems the only downside is the scent, which some people don't like but that's all a matter of varying opinion anyway. I'm glad someone can vouch for that one specifically. Can't wait to see what DH has to say when he notices bottles with the word "caviar" on them in our shower hah!
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Make sure to sign up for the Ulta rewards card. I have to buy my hair products from them (because I wait until the last minute when I HAVE to have it) and Ulta is my only choice in this town. Anyway, if it is something you will but regularly, you might as well get something back. Also, if you do not like how the products work, Ulta will take it back. So that's another perk to shopping with them when you are trying new products.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Ditto to signing up for the rewards program. And never shop without a coupon! Available on their website and then you will get them in the mail once you are a member. I find that alternating shampoos/conditioners works best for my fine hair. So nothing builds up. I have about 4 shampoos and 4 conditioners in my shower. Each is about $7 to $10. The only line in that price range I've tried is Aveda. It was too heavy on my hair and I was either allergic to it or it dried my skin.
          Wife of PGY-2 Gen Surg, gluten/dairy free cook and patron to a big black cat

Comment

Well, I'll just say it: I know this doesn't apply to everything in life, but more $$ = better quality when it comes to hair products. I died a little inside spending $75 on what amounts to 25.5 total oz. of shampoo, conditioner, and volumizing mousse, but the results are obvious and immediate. Consider me a convert. Maybe I can justify the cost seeing that 98% of the makeup I use comes from Target or Ulta (but not even the high-end stuff, I'm kinda cheap when it comes to makeup).

And I signed up for their reward program - I'm excited!

sigpic

Comment

Since you said you are buying a volumizing mouse, I have to add my two cents Good Housekeeping just ran an article that tested 25 different volumizing shampoo and conditioners. This interested me because I have baby fine hair and truly believe the entire cosmetics industry is terrible about selling women the equivalent of snake oil and false promises. Seriously, it is so hard to tell what is good marketing and what is the real deal. When anyone comes out with some sort of objective test, I listen up. I'm willing to spend more money if it gets results, but very happy to buy a cheaper product if it does the job.

Anyhoo, Pantene pro V full and Thick shampoo and conditioner received their top honors. Bonus: It is affordable and available at the grocery store. So far so good for me. I tend to mix products to keep them more effective, but this product get's two thumbs up from here. YMMV.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Fwiw I sometimes able to find the expensive stuff cheap at tjmaxx
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Ulta is also on Ebates. Right now you can get 4% cash back. I am about to order online since I will get free shipping anyway because I am almost out of everything.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Right WPW?! That stuff is hair gold as far as I'm concerned! glad you've had great results!
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I've never needed anything to add volume. And despite having a bottle of $20 hair gel for curly hair, I just use coconut oil as my styling aid right now. I did find a Jason shampoo that I like for dry scalp. It smells funny but feels good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                      X