Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What other career could you imagine for your spouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! Not compromising with clients is why DH got out of it. He wanted to build everything HIS way.

Angie
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

He would be a national park ranger: he could work in the outdoors that he loves so much and interact with people/teaching them which he is AWESOME at. Then he would still build and fix things on the side if he didn't have enough of that kind of thing to do.

Comment

DrK also considered social work and law. He'd have hated law.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I don't know, but something science-heavy for sure.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I actually tried to talk DH out of going to med school by saying he would be great engineer. He programs and loves to build things. His dad offered to sell/give him his laser company but he was stubborn, thought that was the easy route. He was accepted to med school so he went.
            Wife of PGY-2 Gen Surg, gluten/dairy free cook and patron to a big black cat

Comment

Originally posted by spaz View Post
              He would be a national park ranger: he could work in the outdoors that he loves so much and interact with people/teaching them which he is AWESOME at. Then he would still build and fix things on the side if he didn't have enough of that kind of thing to do.
              Mine would definitely also be a park ranger. He did it for a summer and loved it.
              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Attorney or something in IT. He has the mind for both and is pretty good with computers
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Oh, duh, I completely forgot the most obvious one. TBH, he would have been an awesome brewpub owner/master brewer. Sounds lame, but he brewed excellent beers and developed great recipes in our "between undergrad and med school" years - he even won a couple awards for beers he entered into contests. He would have been SUPER happy doing that.
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Something in finance. He does a better job with our investments than the professionals do.
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

DH's fantasy jobs in no particular order: firefighter, golf tour pro, race care driver. I could see him doing any of those and loving it. Adrenaline, competition, pressure, excitement, grateful old ladies, applauding crowds, possible news coverage…ummm, can anyone pick out the surgeon in the room? LOL.
                      -Ladybug

Comment

This is dh's second career but his first wasn't really anything. Just office scutwork and tutoring. He's definitely mechanically minded so Id say mechanical engineer.
                        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Like many here, DH had another career before medicine. He was a software programmer for 5 years before medicine and consulted throughout medical school. He still dabbles in programming for his research, but I truthfully can't imagine him ever doing it full time. Realistically, I think he'd be an excellent IP attorney. In fantasy land, he'd love being a backcountry/wilderness guide.

Comment

What other career could you imagine for your spouse?

DH was a chemistry major. He has talked about in those moments when his frustration with medicine was high, that perhaps he would be a chemistry teacher or chemist. I don't think he would make a good chemist, but I could see him being a very good teacher. He enjoys teaching residents and it is something he misses in his current job.

I joke with him from time to time that he would be an excellent jingle writer if medicine didn't pan out. He makes up some creative songs and lyrics all the time, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by scarlett09; 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM.
                            Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Scarlett, mine does too!! (jingles) His current favorite song to make up new lyrics for is Let It Go from Frozen. (yeah,he's been hanging on to that one...) He's a huge Weird Al fan. He's constantly singing the most ridiculous little ditties and trying to get me to dance. LOL. No.

He wanted to be an accountant before college, and he does really well with our investments, so maybe that? He majored in psych and has really great insights on why people do what they do, so I could kind of see him being a psychologist. He might not have patience for it though. Would being a professional gamer count?

Comment

I just asked him, and he said he'd be a pilot.
                                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
                                X