Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Board game: Munchkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board game: Munchkin

Alex begged for us to buy Munchkin. We took it to the cabin with us and tried playing it. Words that come to mind that describe the game: terrible, awful, so boring I feel like chewing my foot off. He loves it. I can't even understand it. I find it torture to sit through.

Has anyone played this game? Thoughts?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Never heard of it but will make sure we never get it now!
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

The card game? I love that one!

Comment

C likes Tastes Like Chicken. It makes me stabby.
        Kris

Comment

Originally posted by wiva View Post
          The card game? I love that one!
          It's a board game where you adopt a race/class and then fight monsters to go up a level on the board.

Comment

Board game: Munchkin

My husband loves it. You just described many a family gathering. And lest you get bored, there are endless expansion packs!!! *gag*
            Last edited by SoonerTexan; 08-22-2014, 06:48 PM.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
              My husband loves it. You just described many a family gathering. And lest you get bored, there are endless expansion packs!!! *gag8
              oh gawd!

Kris

Comment

We love it. *blush*. We even have all the variations. It's so tongue in cheek. I have always thought of it as a card game, though. I don't think we have a board, unless it's just as a score keeping device.

Angie
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie
                  Attached Files
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

DH loves this game. I played once and didn't get it. I don't care about cards battling with each other.... If I'm going to do that I want them to be cute like Pokemon duh.
                    Wife of PGY-2 Gen Surg, gluten/dairy free cook and patron to a big black cat

Comment

I think you have to be familiar with d and d type games to get the joke. It was always a good game for us because you could finish in under an hour and it was funny. Everyone in our family has either played d and d or video games with similar dungeon crawl themes.

Angie
                      Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                        Angie
                        Holy buckets Angie!

Alex actually came to me today and said he wanted some type of expansion pack.

Nooo.

The truth is that just don't "get it". I found the game rules written in a way to make the game very difficult to understand. It just didn't seem clear to me what all of the cards and certain parts on the cards mean. Then it takes so long. Soooo. Looong. Did I mention it takes long? We played one night in the cabin for 2 hours and I finally had to get out my cell phone and play on it until it was my turn. I didn't think that was modeling the best family time, but I really didn't understand the cards being played, the tactics used in the little monster attack, etc. I was annoyed by Alex constantly trying to steal my cards as a thief.

Ugh.

But apparently an expansion pack and more Munchkin time is in my future. LOL

Comment

Ha, shouldn't take longer than an hour. I think in ours it's only cards. It's simple once you get the hang of it. I'll try to remember the basic steps for a short how to munchkin post...so you don't die the next time!

We have several games that I do feel like killing myself when we play. This isn't one, though. Everybody has favorites, and games they hate!

Angie
                          Angie

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                            It's a board game where you adopt a race/class and then fight monsters to go up a level on the board.
                            Ours is just cards, and we have level counters on our phones

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                              So it is kind of like every African continent dictatorship/revolution in the past 100 years. And we know how well those turn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X