Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help getting rid of fruit flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help getting rid of fruit flies

Any suggestions?

I have a fruit bowl on the center island. One of the peaches went bad. Enter fruit flies. At the same time, one of the kids threw a yogurt away in the bathroom trash (just off the kitchen). I got rid of the fruit and thought the flies were gone. Then I went into the bathroom and was hit with a swarm. I got rid of the bathroom trash and they hid in our kitchen trash. I have removed all kitchen trash, wiped down all counters, made sure no food is out.....but they are everywhere . What can I do to get rid of them?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

The only thing I found that worked when we got them was time. We kept all fruit and produce sealed in the refrigerator or out in the garage, and we threw all food trash in the garage trash can. Wiped down counters constantly and ran garbage disposal any time we put food in it. I think I ran a bunch of vinegar through it, too. It took about a week, but they finally all died off. I'm sorry - it sucks!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ugh. It's been 3 days. I'm so impatient!

Comment

Help getting rid of fruit flies

I've used this trick when I've had only a few (not swarms and swarms) ....

Pour some cider vinegar with a splash of dish detergent into a jar/container/whatever (dish detergent is just to break the surface tension), then fit a funnel over the top (I just roll a piece of paper into a cone shape and stick it in the top) but make sure the bottom of the funnel/paper is above the level of the liquid in the container (ie, not touching).

The sweetness of the liquid attracts the fruit flies but after they fly in they get trapped and drown. It can sometimes takes a couple of days, but it always works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'm going to set this up right now!

Comment

We just vacuum them up. We live in the land of fruit orchards, so they get BAD. We just eliminate any food and then grab the shop vac to suck those assholes up.

Comment

Another good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
                I've used this trick when I've had only a few (not swarms and swarms) ....

Pour some cider vinegar with a splash of dish detergent into a jar/container/whatever (dish detergent is just to break the surface tension), then fit a funnel over the top (I just roll a piece of paper into a cone shape and stick it in the top) but make sure the bottom of the funnel/paper is above the level of the liquid in the container (ie, not touching).

The sweetness of the liquid attracts the fruit flies but after they fly in they get trapped and drown. It can sometimes takes a couple of days, but it always works!

I've done this too just using regular vinegar and a couple slices of peach (or some other fruit) at the bottom of the jar and it's worked great. Make multiple jars if they're in multiple places (one to put by the garbage, one by the fruit basket, etc). Just make sure the funnel effectively "seals" the jar around the edges so that the only way in (and out) of the jar is through the middle of the funnel. If there are gaps around the edges just put some tape around it.
                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I've done the same vinegar thing. No funnel necessary. Once they hit the soapy vinegar they drown. We had a horrible fruit fly problem when I got back from the hospital with the baby because there was a bag of trash in the kitchen for the entire three days we were gone...

Comment

We've done the same thing but with a jar covered in plastic wrap with holes punched in the top
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Our bug guy also told us that they like to lay eggs in the sinkd drains and garbage disposal. He sprayed something in both kitchen sinks and the problem went away in a couple of days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a horrible problem a few weeks ago. Vinegar traps and vacuuming them constantly helped. Plus putting away all fruit.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I must have had really smart fruit flies or did it wrong. I put out several and didn't catch a single fruit fly.
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Seriously, the vacuum is the easiest, fastest, and most effective way to zap those fuckers.

Comment

I vacuumed them and then sealed the vacuum bag in a garbage bag and brought that to the garage. I'm just lazy! I have only noticed 1 fly. I'm hoping that's that. If not, I'll be trying the other tricks!

Comment

Working...
                              X