Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Probiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probiotics

Does anyone take probiotics? DH and I have been taking Florastor for over a year now. It calms our stomachs a lot. But I wonder if there is another that could do more, so this week we are trying Phillips' Digestive Health Support Daily Probiotic. Trying it for a least a week. We have also tried Align in the past and that does not help, makes us feel worse actually. What do you take?
    Wife of PGY-2 Gen Surg, gluten/dairy free cook and patron to a big black cat

I love probiotics, I wish more people were up for taking them.
    Florastor is great. We take Orthobotic by OrthoMolecular Products. Even the vet has put my dog on a doggie probiotic when he was having stomach issues.
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I take soil based probiotics. I cant remember the names. Prescript Assist and ???. I also drink kombucha.

There is a ton of very interesting research going on about gut biomes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I take the kind you have to keep in the fridge because for a long time that's all that was available. Now there are so many shelf stable ones I just haven't bothered to figure out which to switch to but I'd like to find a good one that doesn't have to be refrigerated so it's easier to travel with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I took Florastor for a while when I was having some suspicious GI issues (IBS-like). Along with some careful eating, that helped get it in check. Actually, I'm feeling much the same lately with all my bad, carby pregnancy eating, so I should probably consider taking it again.
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

As I was saying about interesting research...http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture13793.html

Shit.

ETA in case no one wants to read the abstract...artificial sweeteners (they tested saccharine, sucralose, and aspartame) appear to alter the gut microbes in such a way as to induce insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. It would certainly explain things on my end. :/
            Last edited by BonBon; 09-20-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I read something similar about 8ish years ago. I cut them out totally maybe 5 years ago. I feel so much better. (I will say that it wasn't the easiest thing ever, but eventually you don't miss them).

Comment

Yeah, I believe it. I also quit artificial sweeteners a few years back. If I want a soda I have a regular one, every once in a long while. But I learned a long time ago my gut was too sensitive for artificial sweeteners.
                Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

We make Kefir at home. It is actually pretty easy. Originally, I was not down with that when my mom bought me the granules (grains) but it was surprisingly painless to make and to keep up...as long as you do not go out of town and leave it for two weeks.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

My whole family takes probiotics, even the baby (at the advice of her pediatrician)! We take Culturelle. It's 80 capsules for $30 at Costco (Walgreens sells the same stuff--30 caps for $24).

Keeps us all regular.
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Weirdly I had taken probiotics for years, and just stopped at the suggestion of my doctor, and I actually feel better. I do still eat a really decent amount of Greek yogurt and I LOVE kombucha, so perhaps I was just overloaded with good bacteria? Who knows.

Anyway, I took all different kinds. Some super expensive ones (like $50 for like 30 pills), some liquid form, and then these great cheap ones from WF - 365 brand- that I surprisingly liked best. They were only shelf stable until opened, but I would but them when visiting my parents because their WF kept them refrigerated, and I think they worked better then the ones off the shelf at my whole foods.

I also really liked the megaflora brand.

Comment

1 week+ trial has ended. Switching back to Florastor to see the difference. Then will make a decision. DH only lasted a few days on the Bayer before switching back to Florastor.

FYI- Florastor is on sale @ Costco Online for super cheap through 9/28. I haven't seen it in the warehouse.

Comment

By "lasted" what do you mean? Do the probiotocs do a number on his system?

How do you guys know when they're good vs bad? I notice no real difference.
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                            By "lasted" what do you mean? Do the probiotocs do a number on his system?

How do you guys know when they're good vs bad? I notice no real difference.
                            The one we were trying made us really gassy. The point of the probiotics is to make you less gassy and calm your stomach. We both don't have the best digestion so Florastor helps with that. If you have bad digestion, you should keep trying different probiotics until one makes you feel better (you'll just know ). Different people need different bacteria.

Comment

Working...
                            X