Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lower back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower back

I have a mega-knot in my lower back that is pinching something and sending pain down into my hip and butt. My only idea for the moment is to use a tennis ball to try and work it out. It's mostly just on the left in terms of pain, but I can feel the same tightness on the other side. I tend to get this occasionally when I've been slouching at my desk too much or sitting on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table, which strains my lower back (guilty of both this week). Later this evening DH might be able to massage it, but for now I'm having trouble sitting in my desk chair. Suggestions?
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Lower back

Is it higher than your SI joint?

Maybe a heating pad? (Not sure if that's a great idea while your preggers). But heating it and then rolling it out with something (tennis ball might not be firm enough if it's a bad knot) might feel good.

Pre-natal massage gift to yourself 😉.
    Last edited by JDAZ11; 09-19-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I was going to suggest a heating pad too. I imagine you would be okay to put one on that area of your back hurting you. The other option might be a warm bath. Have you tried any gentle stretches or sitting on a birthing ball and gently moving your hips around?

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Yeah, it is higher than SI. Probably L3-5 range? I think I'm OK to use a heating pad as long as it's more warm, not crazy hot enough to increase my core temp. I'll double check though. Ugh, it is really hard to sit right now. This struck last weekend, but then improved for a few days. I do think I need to find a good place to get a prenatal massage.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
          I was going to suggest a heating pad too. I imagine you would be okay to put one on that area of your back hurting you. The other option might be a warm bath. Have you tried any gentle stretches or sitting on a birthing ball and gently moving your hips around?

Kris
          Funny enough, I sit on an exercise ball at my desk sometimes, but switched back to the chair for a couple days because the extra muscle engagement was causing tightness. I'll try stretching my hamstrings as well, sometimes that takes the pull off the lower back...

Comment

Are you sleeping in your side? I found I needed a full-sized pillow between my legs at night.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
              Are you sleeping in your side? I found I needed a full-sized pillow between my legs at night.
              Yep, I have a body pillow and sleep mostly on my left side. I'm trying a heating pad now, and did a first round of tennis ball rolling, but it is still pretty bad. I can stand, walk, and lay down just fine, but sitting upright is hurting, and I have work I need to get done! Ugh!

Comment

I'd think something was out of whack. Have you tried doing a few yoga poses to stretch it out?

Angie
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Any improvement today?

Comment

A little better today after taking it easy last night. Hopefully a weekend away from the desk will help. I need to look into a massage and some other maintenance though, this is not going to get better as I get bigger.

Comment

Good! Glad it's slightly better.

You may want to think about swimming too if it is at all possible. My friends that have swam during their pregnancies have appeared to feel pretty good.

Once you have the baby, if you're still having any issues, I have found the best place ever that does an amazing job addressing muscle imbalances and injuries.

Comment

Swimming would be good too. I had a particularly inactive week this week, and was at my desk or working with a laptop on the couch the whole time. Just stretching, walking, and moving more in general helps, so I know I need to do better or in going to be in pain! The heating pad and stretching has helped for now.

Comment

Do you use anything like BioFreeze or Deep Blue?

I always recommend therapeutic massage

Comment

Working...
                          X