Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CEO Quits After Daughter Gives him List of Missed Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CEO Quits After Daughter Gives him List of Missed Events

http://www.buzzfeed.com/richardhjame...ist-of#4a5kmbz

I thought this was interesting and also made me feel a little bit better knowing medicine isn't the only realm in which parents miss lots of important shit. The sad thing, though, is that after a certain point, it becomes really obvious to the kids that their parent *is* missing lots of stuff. Ugh. I hate that.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Ugh, I hate crap like this. Great Mr. CEO that it is likely very easy to walk away as you have cash reserves and a very stable back up plan. How about the single mom that works 3 jobs to make ends meet and cannot indulge her child's disappointment? How about the couple that both have to work and both can't make it to every event? Oh hell, how about the family with six kids and the reality is that events will overlap and you will miss lots of stuff? I could go on. I just find his revelation very self serving.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Actually I think it is great. Maybe the other examples you mentioned don't have the ability to do what he did, but he did and actually did something about it. And he didn't completely quit working, he just took a less stressful, less prestigious job.

How is that not commendable on some level?
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yeah, good points - all true. I read it and sort of just immediately connected it to the very common occurrence that happens here within medical families. Obviously there are lots of familial situations in which children go with out lots of things, but a common issue here is how doctor dad/mom are "again" missing x, y, z. And yes, it's a lot easier for him to leave and fall back on other business contacts and yes, being a CEO is different than being a doctor. I just thought it was interesting because a lot of the spouses here express sadness when their kids are obviously disappointed that mom/dad missed something yet again - and honestly that's not something I see happening in my friends lives with their kids/spouses so after a while you start to wonder...wow, what other profession could my spouse have chosen that would mean our kids wouldn't always wonder whether dad/mom was going to make it? I wasn't trying to extrapolate it to every parenting situation in which someone misses something - just the nature of medicine and TBH - it's sort of nice to know that a doctor's kid isn't the only one who isn't going to have mom/dad present (again, not applicable in every scenario...you get what I'm saying).
        Last edited by WolfpackWife; 09-26-2014, 02:27 PM.
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          ....he just took a less stressful, less prestigious job.

How is that not commendable on some level?
          Eh, isn't this what working women have always done? Women are expected to forfeit the big career for motherhood and no one is handing out cookies for that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Is it really press worthy? Oh, my poor, poor family. Really? What he really did was exploit his kid. I don't think a pat on the back is warranted here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
              Ugh, I hate crap like this. Great Mr. CEO that it is likely very easy to walk away as you have cash reserves and a very stable back up plan. How about the single mom that works 3 jobs to make ends meet and cannot indulge her child's disappointment? How about the couple that both have to work and both can't make it to every event? Oh hell, how about the family with six kids and the reality is that events will overlap and you will miss lots of stuff? I could go on. I just find his revelation very self serving.
              This. Some really rich guy quit his job--which he has the luxury of being able to do--and is still really rich.

And, in all likelihood, his daughter remains unappreciative and entitled.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                Is it really press worthy? Oh, my poor, poor family. Really? What he really did was exploit his kid. I don't think a pat on the back is warranted here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Exactly!!!!
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post

And, in all likelihood, his daughter remains unappreciative and entitled.
                  This. Imagine you ask your kid to brush her teeth and her response is "what have you done for me lately? "

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                    This. Imagine you ask your kid to brush her teeth and her response is "what have you done for me lately? "

That carefully crafted list would have been tossed in the trash in our home and then she would brush her teeth and then sit down for a very very long conversation about life's realities.
                    Tara

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                      That carefully crafted list would have been tossed in the trash in our home and then she would brush her teeth and then sit down for a very very long conversation about life's realities.
                      Yup. Same here.

Comment

I agree that it's not possible for everyone (or even most people) to quit/change jobs but I think it's great that he recognized the toll his schedule was having on his family and changed something. If the people that can, WON'T, then there's no hope for the rest of us.

Why is she entitled for thinking about the ways her Dad missed stuff? She's entitled/acting out for not listening/doing what her dad asks but so is EVERY teenager on the planet.

I don't know, I still harbor a LOT of resentment for my mom not attending a single soccer game while I was in high-school. Not ONE SINGLE GAME in 4 years. I'm 31 years old and it still pisses me off. As you all know, I work very hard and don't see my kids a lot but I make every effort to be there for them within reason. I don't think choosing your high-powered/not necessary job is the same thing as missing something because of your other children or the job you desperately need to put food on the table - I see one as a choice and the other as not a choice at all.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I agree with ST. Even though he's got plenty of money, he still did it. I think for most guys in that situation their egos couldn't handle it.

Comment

I agree with ST too. Lots of cynical posts in this thread that make me sad.
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                              I agree with ST too. Lots of cynical posts in this thread that make me sad.
                              Really? I guess I got a different take.

Comment

Working...
                              X