Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CEO Quits After Daughter Gives him List of Missed Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great for this guy, but he doesn't get any extra kudos from me for being a parent than anyone else who rearranges their lives for the needs of their family. That's just how the gig rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
      Great for this guy, but he doesn't get any extra kudos from me for being a parent than anyone else who rearranges their lives for the needs of their family. That's just how the gig rolls.
      But most people don't. And I guess that's what is remarkable.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        But most people don't. And I guess that's what is remarkable.
        I disagree. I think a lot of people *do* adjust their lives when they have families. They stop working or coordinate childcare, they compromise/adjust/change career trajectories, pay more to live somewhere with amenities for kids or better local schools.

Comment

I actually think most people DO rearrange their lives for their families and children. We've always stayed in the midwest - so the kids could be close to grandparents, chosen to live in areas with great schools (even though they're more expensive and not necessarily our first choice always), sacrificed my entire career to be home with my kids and DH has taken jobs to aid in supporting that family decision, DH abandoned his plans to work towards CMO jobs when he realized the kids would get moved every 4-5 years, and the list goes on. In my circle of friends, these sacrifices are quite common.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
            I actually think most people DO rearrange their lives for their families and children. We've always stayed in the midwest - so the kids could be close to grandparents, chosen to live in areas with great schools (even though they're more expensive and not necessarily our first choice always), sacrificed my entire career to be home with my kids and DH has taken jobs to aid in supporting that family decision, DH abandoned his plans to work towards CMO jobs when he realized the kids would get moved every 4-5 years, and the list goes on. In my circle of friends, these sacrifices are quite common.
            Ditto.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I applaud the guy, really. Success for success sake is getting out of hand. Really, how many million do you need? How many more credentials?

Whoever said that if the people who can fight for work life balance the rest of the world have zero shot.

Anyone see the interview of Richard Branson who basically gave his employees unlimited vacation? Get your work done and do what you need to do. He called American holiday leave deplorable. My friend is pretty high up in Lexmark and they just went to this model as well. I hope that these models granting the employees dignity and understanding work out.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

That was me who said if these guys don't do it, no one will.

The fact that Americans routinely don't even take their full allotted vacation and yet we are allotted fewer days than almost every other country is horrible.

House elf, I think a lot of companies are going this route. Several of my friends work for firms that have done this. The issue is that in services firms, it's hard to EVER schedule leave. At least since ours expires, I can be like, yeah, sorry, I have to take it and no one can say anything.

It would be nice though to feel free to stop work on a Friday afternoon without having to use a half day.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

This could probably branch off into a whole new thread about vacation days, but they are kind of ridiculous. My sister's days are so limited that after she takes off for Jewish holidays and doctors appointments she barely has any left. She is going to ask next year that instead of her annual raise she gets the equivalent amount in pto.
                  -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                  Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                  Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                    Anyone see the interview of Richard Branson who basically gave his employees unlimited vacation?
                    I work under that model. I can take as much time as I want, whenever I want...as long as my leaving doesn't make more work from someone else and I am "comfortable with" leaving my work for the time.

Yeah, I'm a lawyer. There is NEVER a time when I **know** that there will not be an emergency. There is no other "me." I can't dump it off on someone else. And my boss--a federal judge--expects emergencies to be handled. There is no such thing as "it didn't get handled because I took a personal day." That's called: unemployed.

I have worked under the "no limit to your personal time--take it when you believe you can" model for eight years. It is TERRIBLE for anyone who is a professional, has responsibilities, and can't responsibility-share...and who actually wants a real "work-free" day.

The situation works great for me because I am the world's most wildly capable multi-tasker and I don't really care if I get calls at 2:00 AM or during while I am giving birth or whatever. I think of it as the cost of having a very flexible job. But I have not had a real, guaranteed, won't-be-interrupted day off in eight years. The attorneys even email me on federal holidays (days I am supposed to have "off"). I once had an attorney call me on Christmas..."Oh, I thought you were Jewish..." (?? Why? What ridiculous stereotype is about to come out of your mouth?)...then proceeded to harass me with questions that he thought was "an emergency" (it wasn't). And as if it were an excuse to harass me, even if I WAS Jewish. It is STILL a federal holiday. Jewish or Christian or whatever...it is a federal day off. Idiot.

Branson's idea is super nice...in theory.
                    Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I don't think the girl sounds entitled, and I think what the dad did was great, even publicizing it. My parents weren't in high-profile jobs, but they were self-employed and couldn't take time off. They missed a lot, and I was sad each time it happened. No, it doesn't excuse her not obeying him, but we all know that most kids seek attention, even negative, when they're not seeing a parent very often, so her behavior isn't surprising. I'm glad it worked out for this family, and I hope it encourages discussions like this that may someday result in more time off for employees.
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                      X