Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

October 6th News

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
    Aloy- Does your hubby have an independent license? (Some residents get one to moonlight) I didn't think residents could legally write orders or prescriptions without that as they're tied to their program and the attending oversight. Some of it is dependent on the state medical licensing board of course.
    I don't know about the license, but he's been able to do it before. I don't know why he was being weird - it wasn't like I was asking him to do something that's outside of the realm of what he does every single day, or I just wanted antibiotics for the fun of it. Doesn't matter anymore - my dad just called and said the UA came back positive for nitrites and a bunch of bacteria, so I was right, and I've started the antibiotics. UTIs are one thing I know well, and I'm almost always right when I suspect one, even early with minimal symptoms (usually the odor comes first, before any discomfort, and I've had several clinicians think I was crazy when I tell them this).
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
      This. If it makes you feel better dh will not write scripts for family or anyone that doesn't have a medical record he can tie it to.
      I'm in the EHR, all he had to do was look up my chart and submit the orders and script electronically - it's exactly what my dad did.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
        Yeah - that was an issue with my DH - or something similar. I think he could write one for things like UTI meds though. He just didn't have his own dea number. But anyway, he NEVER writes them anyway. (He did once for something that is super common and I had been prescribed 100 times before, but just because it was an emergency). It does kind of annoy me, but even now, he doesn't really even know how to call Rx's in because his nurse does it for him.

But I will say that he looked at my file (at my request, I was sitting next to him) on the hospital's system and got a call like 10 minutes after (on a Saturday) asking him why he was looking at a file for a patient he wasn't treating. Crazy! Apparently it was non-issue since I had designated him as my personal representative. But I also just make sure now that I have an authorization and release of protected medical info made out to him at all my doctors. So anyway, I'm not sure his current hospital system is super friendly about writing Rx's for family members. So I guess I can kind of see how your DH may have been nervous about it as a resident.
        I think they use the hospital's DEA number still.

Comment

My DH isn't allowed to even look up family members in the EHR at all. It's a big deal here.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Yep, most places it is a HUGE deal to look up someone's records, like immediate termination type offense.

With my new job, I can't even look up my kids records, it is expressly prohibited.
            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
              Oh nooooo! I've had 2 colds since getting pregnant, and it is so miserable to not be able to take cold medicine! I used a lot of saline nasal spray and some Vicks Vapo-Rub. And I whined a lot. Feel better!
              Haha thanks -- I think "whining a lot" will be my general way of dealing with it too

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
              My DH isn't allowed to even look up family members in the EHR at all. It's a big deal here.
              Same. At the last place we trained it was a HUGE no-no (they didn't have their own DEA #s as residents, it was tied to the hospital so they could get in real trouble) and I'm fairly sure it's not allowed here either. DH has called in one of my regular scripts before on a Sunday because I was in awful pain and completely out of meds but he won't call in anything that requires diagnosis/testing to confirm or would have to be entered in my chart. I think universally it's at least frowned upon if not an actual rule so maybe they mentioned something about it at the hospital recently and that's why he was being weird about it this time ALOY.
              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

October 6th News

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                Yep, most places it is a HUGE deal to look up someone's records, like immediate termination type offense.
                We've had multiple people at DH's clinic fired in the last year for this. The compliance officer came up and ended up doing rounds of seminars on HIPAA compliance and company policies.

Compliance officer just about shit herself when she found out that some guys in the lab had taken it upon themselves to test their boss for drugs from the specimens ordered by his doc to test for other things.

ALOY - If something was going on at your dude's hospital/clinic and the compliance office was clamping down, I can see his reluctance. It's not worth the headache for him if someone else can view and write the script. Remember, residency is a completely different world than when docs are finished training. Post-training docs have more responsibility, but also get some more leeway from admins on some subjects.

Comment

It generally is frowned upon here too, that's why I asked him to actually write the orders for the lab, because then he would be my treating physician. It's completely legitimate for a urologist to write orders for a urinalysis, read the results, and prescribe an antibiotic for a positive result. I'm pretty sure they only audit EHR access for VIPs and complaints though.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                    It generally is frowned upon here too, that's why I asked him to actually write the orders for the lab, because then he would be my treating physician. It's completely legitimate for a urologist to write orders for a urinalysis, read the results, and prescribe an antibiotic for a positive result. I'm pretty sure they only audit EHR access for VIPs and complaints though.
                    Yes but it's better your hubby not get in the habit of writing for you. I know it's a big pita. I do, really!
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post

With my new job, I can't even look up my kids records, it is expressly prohibited.

That's what I thought too. At a previous health system, we were given extensive - EXTENSIVE warnings about looking at charts that didn't pertain to you. Apparently they'd had a lot of issues with hospital staff looking up charts of basketball players or even a student who was tragically murdered and brought to the ED there. HUGE deal.
                      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Yup, DH won't write me UTI Rxs either. He doesn't want to be a physician on my record so he won't do it.

Apparently every time they have a VIP in the hospital (including the BBall players here), multiple people get fired.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Honestly, treating one's own spouse (sans extenuating emergency circumstances) is typically frowned upon.

Comment

Borrowed dw's car yesterday and realised it's about to die as the clutch thrust bearing is grumbling away. Along with the blowing exhaust manifold it's officially terminal. Car's done well, we've had it 12 years, but today I found it's replacement. Dw happy!

Dave
                            Using Tapatalk

Comment

A girl at church just had a 12lb 10oz baby!!!! That's more than twice what E weighed - she wasn't even that big at 6 months (I know that's super rare). It just blows my mind.

Comment

Also, I just had a meeting with the dean of our school, and it went really well.

Comment

Working...
                                X