Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is college really the best time of your life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is college really the best time of your life?

Hey Everybody!!
    I just returned to school from Spring Break and I'm looking at the pile of work before me and wondering, is college really the best time of your life? :

I'll admit it's sometimes nice living with a ka-zillion people your own age and always having someone to hang out with. It's also nice being away from home and 'independant. BUT after 3.5 years of everyday being a different schedule and living below noisy people I'm looking forward to a quiet apartment, a 9-5 job and time for something other than homework.

What is everyone else's take on 'the best years'?

Well, that's hard to say. College is that time in your life where you are approaching independence but often still have the option to fall back on mom and dad if you need to. It is all about discovering who you are and want you want out of life...you are still 'dreaming' about the future. It is exciting.

After college comes the job, the family, etc....and you no longer have the luxury of sleeping in through class and having someone else take notes because you had a late night. There are no more study groups and once you have kids there are very few girl's nights out. The apartment/house is quiet until you have kids...then it is noisy, boisterous and always up way before you are ready to crawl out of bed.

But I wouldn't say that it is worse...it is just different. Now my dreams are about my children, my husband...and yes...myself...but it is all very different. At work you have to deal with politics...not just sign in at 9 and leave at 5...at home you have to cook, clean and organize the entire house on your own..and take care of children (if you have them), your spouse and finally..yourself. I find that I am usually at the very bottom of my 'to-do' list...and I usually don't make it down to the bottom of that list so I'm the last one to get hair cuts, new clothes, etc.

But I wouldn't trade my life now for the college years.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I had a lot of fun in college, but eventually I felt the same way that you do. I got annoyed with the students who had to party ALL the time in the dorm next door. I wanted to get going, get a job, and move on. Now I don't have a job, I stay at home with my daughter, but I think it was actually being ready for the next part of my life to begin. I needed some changes and finishing school, getting married, and moving away from my family so my husband could start med school was just what I needed. I can imagine that as my husband gets closer to graduation, I'll be feeling the same way again.

Comment

Absolutely NOT.

I had a great time in college, still in touch with friends, etc. But in no way is it the best. That would be like saying high school was the best time ever.

Personally- I love where I am now. I'm in my thirties, I have a great husband, I job I love, my family is happy and healthy and we're going to adopt a baby. We live in a vibrant community and we have many friends to play with. I wouldn't go back and live through my twenties again if you paid me. There's not enough money in the universe!!

Life is what you make it and I think we should always strive to make where we are the best time and place ever!

Jenn

Comment

I'd have to agree with the others. I enjoyed college, and looking back wish I'd done a few things different or at least savored the good parts (getting to sleep till noon, working crazy jobs that had nothing to do with my future career), but I really don't want to go back to those days. I feel much more settled and content now than I did then. Of course, now that I have kids and a husband I wouldn't trade them for the world and life has taken on a different meaning than it did back then--its not about me and my own goals anymore, yadda yadda yadda. Anyhow, just try to enjoy the stage you're in and don't worry that its all going to go downhill from here--it's definitely not!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I'll agree too--there are lots of "best times". I think the trick is to make the most of the moment you're in, and at the same time be willing to move on and make changes as new opportunities come along. The world doesn't stop dead after college, unless you want it to.

There are lots of amazing things to come--I promise. Just don't rush things, and be sure to do a lot of the brave and crazy stuff you're dreaming about while you're young. That way, when you get to be my age, you'll have a bunch of great stories, and secret things to reminisce about, but you won't want to go back there.

Comment

I think college has its unique charms and opportunities that, once college is over, you'll never have again. But so does every phase of life. I definitely don't think things just get worse and stay worse after college.

I would definitely say that some of my happiest times were in college, but that I've been equally happy--for different reasons--at other times since college.
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I agree with what everyone has already said. It is just different. College was a fantastic time for self-exploration, independence, life skills, building life long friendships, and a blessed carefree way of life. I truly loved my college years and am grateful to have had those experiences.

Fast forward to 30. Life is a lot messier now but a thousand times more fulfilling. I am married to my best friend and we are carving out a life together. We know the love of our child. We have a sense of peace and self that we didn't have at twenty. We have a family...what could be better?

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I don't think college is the "best time of your life" because it's not "real life." It's fun to explore who you are, cram for tests, take classes on topics you might never learn about again....socializing in college is sure a blast but it's not "real." It's a pocket for growth our society has built in, in addition to the fact that being college educated is almost required to get a decent job these days.

Enjoy college but when you are done, you will be ready to move on. It's similar to high school in that respect. I had a TON of fun in both high school and college but marriage and children puts those times in perspective.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Besides, let's get real, who amongst us has the stamina at the ripe old age of thirty to go back to the college lifestyle? Not I, my friends. Although I do love my delicious memories of those days.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Hmm, I actually worked way harder in college than I do now (before I pretty much burned out on being a workaholic), and I drink way more now than I did in college. I wonder if that's bad . . .

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down the pants - why not lead a balanced life?"
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                      X