Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Residency Expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueC
    I'm not sure what the solution is--whether I should be arranging "play-dates" for him just like I do for my children???
    It's funny- that's almost exactly what I was thinking the other day-- my friend and I decided to take our boyfriends to Dave and Busters so they could get to know each other while shooting aliens or whatever. I asked her if this is what parenting would be like. And the scary thing is-- it seems to work. The boys are very excited about their play date.

Flynn, it's not so much that he's unwilling to get to know my friends (he's really nice to them and they all like him), it's more that he's never had friends in this city outside of medicine. He came here from California for med school and he's kept the same friends since 1st year. I guess every good quality has its downside. He's extremely loyal-- to a fault-- and I don't think it occurs to him that he would need other friends.

Did any of you ever feel like the guy you're dating would never grow up? I always thought of doctors as very mature people (I suppose they must get that way somehow...) and yet it's taken a full year for my boyfriend to figure out that I don't enjoy watching his friends play MarioKart!

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleBee
      Did any of you ever feel like the guy you're dating would never grow up? ... it's taken a full year for my boyfriend to figure out that I don't enjoy watching his friends play MarioKart!
      Unfortunately, my husband is still in this stage of his life. When we would come home and visit from med school and stay with his family, his family and I would often all sit around in the family room ... watching my husband play video games. Fortunately this doesn't happen quite as often now, especially since we've dedicated our basement TV to video-game-playing!
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleBee
        I always thought of doctors as very mature people (I suppose they must get that way somehow...)
        I think they just learn how to fake it at work.
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I think someone on this board mentioned once that being in medical school, residency, fellowship, etc., kind of keeps them in that "student" stage longer than others because they are essentially still training. I think that's definitely true, and makes them maybe seem a little less "mature" than their non-medical counterparts.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
          X