Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What was your first job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first job?

I started working at McDonalds when I was 14 years old (work permit) for $3.32/hour.

It's so funny....we had moved all over including Europe and the one constant in my life had been McDonalds. I was so excited to apply and interview. I remember telling the manager that I interviewed with that McDonalds was my "dream" and at the time it was. LOL

Kris
    Last edited by PrincessFiona; 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

YMCA Camp counselor at an after school/track-out program in an elementary school. It was actually super fun.
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Off the books at 16, I worked for an old teacher who had a computer business doing data entry for $6/hour.

My junior and senior years of high school, I worked at la Madeleine, working the line, busing tables, and doing dishes (the last two at my preference, because I got tired of dealing with people for a while), earning $6.50-$7.20/hour, I think.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Babysat starting at about 13, going rate was about $2/hour; first "real" job was at a local public library (re-shelving books, checking the stacks to make sure the books were still in order, that kind of thing). IIRC, I was 16, and it was around $3.50-$4/hour
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Over the summer when I was 15, I babysat for one of my dad's coworkers. She paid me $14 a day to keep her 4 and 8 year old, and occasionally their 11 year old stepbrother. I cleaned and cooked lunches, and occasionally did dinner prep. Looking back, I wonder why my parents didn't step in and say that was too little, but I felt like I couldn't say no because I didn't want to make Dad's coworker upset with him. (She was higher ranked in the company.) I think they figured at least I was getting paid something, so I should be grateful.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I got a job at Zumiez (a skater-type clothes store) when I was 16. I worked 2 times, then decided I hated it so I just stopped showing up! I never quit or anything.
            These posts today are making me realize I was a really stupid teenager.

Comment

Babysitting.

First 'real' job: Pizza/Italian restaurant phone girl/dessert and salad arranger. I lasted two or three months before I quit. I still hate garlic knots...

Comment

I started babysitting when I was 12. First real job at 15 working for the city parks department during the summer making trails and pulling invasive species. I just remember trying to work while I had cramps and was around a bunch of boys! arg.
                Wife of PGY-2 Gen Surg, gluten/dairy free cook and patron to a big black cat

Comment

My first real job was at a grocery store and deli when I was 16. I liked it. I worked there for 4 years on weekends and school breaks. I made between 7.20 and 10.50 pounds then euro an hour.
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Usher at the local university coliseum. I worked basketball games and concerts. I don't remember what the pay was.
                    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Logging. Grandpa's logging company. Age 13.

Comment

Ace Hardware cashier. Hated it so much
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

First real job, sandwich maker at Wendy's for $4.00 an hour at 16.

Heidi
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Babysitting at 13. For a 6, 4, 2, and baby that had been a preemie. It was nuts! Proudest moment of my life might sill be getting them all to sleep. The baby wouldn't let me put her down ever.

Otherwise I was a hostess at a seafood restaurant for 2 years making $6.50
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Goat tender at local tourist trap. It was great and I always had an amazing tan (my skin is regretting that now). I only worked there a couple summers before quitting to work at American Eagle. Worst decision ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X