Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone have a big crisis/distraction near Step 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a big crisis/distraction near Step 1?

So lets say, not-so-hypothetically, that FH's mother and/or grandmother-who-practically-raised-him were to die right on or near the day of Step 1. What would happen then? Would they let you change your test date? Are you just screwed out of a good test score by circumstance?

(Not that this is even close to being my main concern regarding FH's sick relatives, but still, I'm wondering.)

Does anyone have any stories of Step 1 taking place under less-than-ideal circumstances?
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

I knew a gal who failed one of the tests (can't remember which one) because she lost two people very close to her right around then. She actually had a rough couple of years and had trouble passing and was able to receive an additional try (I can't remember how many they give you, but she got an extra one in light of all the tragedies she had been through). I do know she eventually did pass and was able to finish the rest of her training without incident.
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Thanks. I like to think I'm not a control freak, but when faced with something that can't be planned out I get extra anxious and am forced to admit that in fact I very much AM a control freak. At least about my own life, not so much about others' lives.

Step 1 is still a few months out, so I guess I have no particular reason to think that these events are going to occur simultaneously . . . other than Murphy's Law. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, I guess.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

DH did not have any crises or distractions around Step 1 (unless you count getting married 3 days later ... ), but he did around Step 2. We were in the middle of negotiating an offer on a house and I was in Brazil at the time, so he was trying to juggle making offers and counteroffers on our house with studying for Step 2. Right before the test date he freaked out and decided he wasn't ready, so he was able to reschedule the test for a small fee. I don't remember it being a huge deal (and obviously the circumstances are not exactly the same), but I don't know if it's the same for Step 1. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you though.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
        X