Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What is the most important lesson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most important lesson...

that you have learned in life?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Many years ago, I figured out/decided that there is almost always a solution for every problem. (Not all solutions are of my liking LOL but they are there.) This was a huge relief to me in my parenting and it's something that I parrot to my children whenever they are struggling "there is always a solution to every problem, let's figure it out."

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

That nothing out there is about me. If that makes sense. I find comfort only worrying about my actions...granted, I do not have kids. When others behave in ways that drive me nuts, I look inward now instead.

For example, if someone does not like me. I look inward and check to see if I have behaved in a manner that would render such a feeling. If not, then it is about them...not me...and let it goooo. If it is someone whom I wish to/must have a relationship with, I will share my mental model and apologize for anything that may have been perceived wrong. If they wish to persist with their perception/actions...it is on them - not about me. Frustrating yes, but I no longer waste time worrying about what I cannot control.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

The most important life lesson I have learned in the last two years is that it is our most sacred duty to heal ourselves first. After this, the other stuff falls into place.

On a more practical note, I recently realized that I almost always tend to live my life based on the proposition that it is easier to schedule for success and create an environment that promotes success as opposed to exercising will power. It is easier to sign up for a big race and therefore have to train. It is easier to stay on budget if you mimimize the times you shop. It is easier to stay thin if food isn't out and about inn plain sight. It is easier to save if windfalls go into accounts at a bank different from our everyday savings and checking and I cut up the debit card so that I have to physically go to the bank to withdrawal money. I don't know if success is as much about a moral victory as it is creating easier pathways to success. Not as poignant as the first lesson, but super helpful nonetheless.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Pretty much what MPS said. It took a loooong time to figure that out!

Comment

I've spent days thinking about this. I feel like I've learned so much, but I can't distill it into words. I'm stuck in the "WTF?" stage of life.

I hold onto perseverance, faith and hope. Faith is the action of getting out of bed each day and trying to do better, not a set of professed beliefs. Hope is never giving up on people's potential, including your own. Sometimes I think perseverance is the only thing we are on earth to learn. Really, really, really well.
            -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
            X